Matt Burgess's Reviews > The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life

The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp

May 05, 10

Read in November, 2008

The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life (2003), Twyla Tharp

One of America's greatest choreographers, Twyla Tharp, shares her insight into the creative process in her sophomore venture into authorship. The best part of The Creative Habit is at the end of each chapter where exercises are prescribed to the content of the corresponding chapter. In between you will find stories primarily from Twyla's experience with musicals and other artistic ventures.

I tend to prefer straight forward talk and therefore found the majority of each chapter to be boring and unneccessary. However, she should be credited with successfully mixing content about a methodical process with interesting narrative. Although I prefer different, readers may find her interspersed examples refreshing especially those that enjoy the inner workings of broadway or fans of the Movin' Out musical.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Creative Habit.

Jenny Lee I agree wholeheartedly! I prefer motivational authors to get to the point as well and this book certainly does not meet that criteria. Good exercises - boring stories.

Ying Ying I agree as well. The title was very promising, but I expected more direct advice and less of the unnecessary narrative.