Danielle's Reviews > Last Chance Saloon

F 50x66
May 05, 2010

it was ok
Read from May 05 to 11, 2010

I read this book for one of my book clubs. I never, ever would have read it otherwise because I pretty much detest chick lit, which this book is. This book in no way dissuaded me of my dislike for the genre, but I will say that Keyes writes well enough that I did find myself wanting to continue reading the book to find out what happened. The story revolves around a group of friends, who grew up in Ireland together and then moved to London together. Tara is a slightly overweight woman who is living with a sad speciman of a man for fear of being alone, Katherine is a woman who likes her life in order and is afraid to get involved in any real relationship with a man, and Fintan is their gay friend involved in a serious relationship with a wonderful man. All their worlds are turned upside down by Fintan's diagnosis with Hodgkin's disease. There is also another character who has whole chapters devoted to him named Lorcan, an actor who thinks he's God's gift to women. They seem to generally agree although based on how horribly he treats them I can't figure out why. You don't find out his connection to the other characters until the end of the novel, so I won't reveal it here either. But generally like all other chick lit the women spend all their time obsessing over men and then doing ridiculous things to ruin their relationships. None of them appear to have any self-esteem or view any other accomplishment in their life worth anything other than landing a man. Makes me want to gag and makes me sad for the female gender. This is why I hate chick lit. If you like chick lit though I'm pretty sure this is a good example of such and that you would enjoy reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Chance Saloon.