Jana's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Nov 25, 14

bookshelves: ya-and-creatures
Read in September, 2010

A lot of things are troubling me about The Hunger Games. A lot of things which I more and more perceive and which are not solely connected with this book but with the metaphor behind the words. People attach themselves to fictional freedom without seeing what really something is and which unfortunately is here to stay because you can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. You can’t make a shift on a deeper level, if the only thing that attracts you to this book is – a vision of fight, retaliation and the outcome of freedom. Freedom of flesh.

In comparison to the freedom of and from your mind which is nowhere to be found.

And this is why I detest this book, although detest is such a strong from the ego word. Because the whole purpose of this story is to show how people shouldn’t sacrifice their children for the better of their communities and with the positive outcomes realise that we are so much stronger and yada yada.

THE WHOLE PURPOSE of this book should be that there shouldn’t even be in the first place a need to sacrifice members of our society for some other people to be amused. And where after the battle of ''united'' people we heal and repair the damages for the better tomorrow. The society cancer of western civilisation thinking.

Heal the damage, never heal the cause of it.

But then we wouldn’t be talking here about the same book. We would be discussing how humanity can help each other with being better, with taking responsibility and with being open to each other.

And yet imagine this paradox we live in: better, as if the majority of population can even understand that we are in constant blood thirst to achieve peace. With war comes peace. While along the way we are trying to be better and safer. Yet most people deliberately choose to live on the utmost lowest level of their existence. In fear, frightened of itself.

And people read books which are so extreme in their bullshit. And people connect with Katniss because she is the heroine. She has managed to outsmart the system. Instead of thinking that she was not even supposed be there in the first place. Because we live in society that does this to their children.

''No, we don’t!''

''We do...''

''But children can learn how to fight.''

''You teach them to fight for individual puppeteers. And instead of working on yourself, how to achieve your inner peace, you associate yourself again with the group because it feels better to be in the tortured crowd, instead of being alone and awakened.''

''What are you talking about? It is just emo gibberish. Leave Katniss alone. And in the end, it is just a book. Why don’t you want people to read and educate themselves, does everything have to be deep and meaningful, can’t you just relax?''

Yes, everything has to be deep and meaningful since we are drowning in shit of meaningless and shallow. The system as it is, the plot of this book is just another evidence to show us how we are controlled. That we are left barren from our true selves which we only find in empathy, love towards each other and genuinely understanding that we are one and everything is one. But on this provincial&marginal&primitive&emotional level, so many took this book for granted.

And the only reason I am writing this review here, the only reason I am giving it so much attention is to tell what is on my mind since it is so widely popular and since I have read it. And one of the main reasons why I can’t really keep things light and popsy is because so many things are already deep down in gutter light and popsy and mainstream. As if having money is any critieria for life, as if not having your own free will and education and information means nothing. And the other side of the rich coin is poverty with people who believe in symbols, who are sidetracked with religions, censured TV, economy and utter lack of information circulation.

And a lot of people here are trying to disregard this review and want to reassure me that I am so terribly wrong. BUT, you have yet not seen what I am talking about and it is perfectly OK.

So I followed as well screaming Goodreads recommendations and I bought a book that is stupid, violent and written so plainly but of course written for vast masses so they can be touched by fake social awareness. Because it is fake, but most of all it’s tragic.

And this is not a critique toward Collins, in my nature of a thinker and seeing her a person who shared her thoughts and which millions of people loved and connected with, I am still a firm believer that the general public just didn’t understand what she was talking about. And this is my silver lining. Because it has been like this throughout centuries and with the biggest thinkers of our civilisation. What they meant and wanted to show, is definitely not what most of the public projected.

Because the mainstream public is a group of sheep, not seeing anything properly, but following and like a Tarzan, screaming, don’t you dare stealing my Jane from me. As a metaphor, don’t you dare telling me these uplifting emotions are not true, when all in me about this book tells me that is correct and how people should live their lives.

And if the mainstream likes it, uh, then definitely that is not what it’s true.

It is just a constant reminder how so many things are left unrecognised while these superficial stories which evoke cheap emotions are always so hugely praised. It could have been just a little story but never underestimate the obese octopus that is called In God And Country We Trust - code red mentality. Mentality of humans which are too ignorant, beautifully naive and untouched basically with what is means to be socially aware.

And although this is a teen book, it is more deeply hurting and sickening because if you want to influence somebody, of course you will influence the children – and yet there is nothing that children can learn from it. They can learn some things, we all need little courageous Katniss, but on a deeper subtler level is it just an intravenous injection of more Nothing and more Numbing and more Disconnected.

At least they read is one of the arguments. And argument as fruitfull as at least they eat GMO food. One food for the blind intellect, other for the digestion which both results in basic survival without any interference of you in all of it. Because it takes courage and guts and a pinch of anarchy to stop, turn around and start questioning what is handed.

For me, the thought about giving this to a child is sickening especially because we live in this world where all the life criterias are upside down. Because a child will not learn how things are vile and disturbing because Katniss told them through her delusional and hyperventilating focus, but a child will learn about life’s cruelty, and it will be touched by it sooner or later, by questioning everything that is served in front of it.

Because if it is served somebody is earning money and you are just getting fatter and sicker.

And the children will learn how to question if you teach them how to find not if you broadcast them the answers. Not if you teach them through aggressive examples and if you keep the nation in cold sweat especially if you are lucky enough to live in the countries where oppression is not the issue but consumerism, body image and mediocrity have you on the leash.

I am astonished with a fact that around 75.000 Goodreads members read this book and that around 50.000 of them rated it 5 stars. What is it that fascinates them so much.

It’s disturbing because people obviously associate and find themselves in this book. And it's about a girl Katniss Everdeen, living in the far away future, who was chosen to participate in a cruel Big Brother game, in which 24 contestants (children age 12-18) kill each other, because live TV has become demanding, and the public loves reality blood and violence. That's it. A little bit of undeveloped and unbelievable romance between her and two boys, a little bit of her abandoned family problems, a little bit of The 5th element movie political structure, mutants and pop stylists. It’s so screwed up.

In the beginning, first 50 pages were well written. There was suspense, Katniss was sweet and witty, but overall this book is a shitty meltdown. Adding the ridiculous cliffhanger ending. Some people here are using words like dystopian literature, and then write essays about how this book is the core of it.

The core is pointlessly graphic and sadistic, without any concrete message except of the negative: this book is just proving that the world today is fucked up if this book is so successful. I don’t see the point of reading about the fictional kids who are doing this to each other.

In a metaphorical way it is promoting political establishments of certain countries and that is getting tiring. Not all people are eager to swallow the shit of general brainwashing. Katniss being the heroine (ironical quote marks). Being loyal and darling and a role model. Just wake up. Life is happening and some pretty dark things are happening while you are thinking that Katniss is the representative of the club called liberation.

For me, in a bookish way it stands for one bad one night stand, kiss and forget. But as always, readers tend to bring fiction to their real life and just as many think that kittens and superheroes are comfort zones, a lot of readers perceive this plot as their own little shrine.

But that is me not being in tune with the mainstream population which is too distracted with billboards.

Because it is easier, because why protest, why not simply take what you are given - eat your GMO Monsanto's company hamburgers, eat your cancer giving Nestle products and think that The Hunger Games are the best franchise ever, like ever. If you don't have any arguments about real life activism and if you think that there is deepness in this plot which I have yet not seen so you need to enlightened me, just include North Korea or Hitler or ISIS those poor people who are closed in Zara hangers who work nonstop ''somewhere'' in the world because obviously you are aware of the crisis although you don’t think you could show on the map but you have heard on CNN.

This shit sells. It's genuinely bad but excellently targeted. You know, it evokes pride and loyalty and massacring children, freedom and scandal and Hollywood. It goes very well with all the Kardashian filth. As long as it sells, sells, sells. And marketing agencies know that people are united when they are jealous, when they want and they with those hamburgers want freedom. Nobody is going to kill their Katniss in a goddam book! Really? Take a look around you.

And then the punch line for this book comes from the so called activism from the shopping mall. People who devour literature of this kind and think that everything is all right while in the same time, fuck, you are getting oozingly fat.

Bottom line.

This book is very shallow and MTV culture oriented, like a classical example of easy consummated pop-literature; I'm very surprised that it didn't come with some trash magazine subscription. If it doesn't have savage brutality, prize money and prefix ''media coverage'' then it won't be appealing and educational because surely this is how children of 21st century survive this techno media world; through examples of true moral issues and realistic outcomes. Have another gulp of Coca-Cola along the way while you listen to dubstep shit.

It saddens me when a violent hillbillish book is so popular. What is there to truly identify yourself with. Except if your chicken soup for soul are basic emotions which come with buy 1 get 1 free.
354 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

message 1: by Hydrogen (last edited May 30, 2011 04:46PM) (new)

Hydrogen Carbonate I learned a lot from this book. I read this book when i was 15, and Katniss's story taught me so much about the horrors of war and the injustice of cruelty that, like it or not, is taking place all over the world. Mockingjay, the third book, taught me that we all have to stand together. If you look past the violence, and actually see what Katniss goes through and what she's telling you, you'll see the core of this book is very anti-violence and anti-war. Katniss does go through struggles, particularly in the second book where she has nightmares about the games and has to have Peeta stay with her all night. War affects everyone, and no one is untouchable, not even the hero or heroine, but you can still make it through. Katniss did, by the end she finds peace, although there's a lot she must overcome.

message 2: by G (new) - rated it 1 star

G Preach to everything you said, to be honest.

Allison So, I just did a paper for my pulp fiction class about why stories of violence appeal so much to our society. I know you probably don't care but I thought I'd put in my two cents in case you really wanted to know why this violent book is so popular. Studies have shown that people facing uncertainty (fear of terrorism, economic uncertainty, war, etc) like to be reassured. A story like the Hunger Games where violence so terrible occurs but is resolved and the world keeps spinning is reassuring. Notice that crime shows are some of the top watched shows all over the nation. People like to see the good guy coming out on top, it makes them think maybe they can too. Katniss appeals to people because she is strong enough to get through the most horrible of circumstances and overcome her oppressors. In terms of violence it is nowhere near the horror of some other books that I have attempted to read (Battle Royal and LA Confidential are some famous ones that jump to mind).
Maybe it didn't teach you much but I learned a lot about sacrifice and the strength of hope. I didn't really see the violence as the main point of the story but rather a framework to make the ideas in the story more potent. I hope you can find another book you like better :)

message 4: by Jana (last edited Mar 09, 2012 01:57AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana It makes sense, thank you for explaining it, it's really sweet of you, but in the same time all this for me is one big Lala land. With LA Confidential on the other hand I can relate, because it's real. There are numerous books that deal with the same topic, on adult level, but public doesn't like it because it doesn't have the same abstract magical world connotation. On the other hand it's YA literature, if it had been adult literature with real people and real situations and real outcomes, many of these readers would have been outraged.

Chipper I didn't really feel that it was that violent or disturbing. I have read book a lot more disturbing than this, such as 1984 by George Orwell. That book makes The Hunger Games look like a joke, but both books taught me lot, and they were both amazing.

Sarah What I do not appreciate is not that you did not enjoy the book as you are absolutely entitled to not like something or express what you, personally, did not like about it. However, the tone of judgement in this review is rather appalling. You condemn parents or guardians who would allow their children to read this book and you label all readers of this book as "disturbing" or as kind of voyeurs enjoying the violent actions of children. Also, saying that there is nothing children can learn from it seems a bit ridiculous as you can not possibly identify with every child reader. The point is, this review made me feel VERY uncomfortable because it basically called all readers of the book sick and sadistic. That's a pretty harsh judgement and condemns other for enjoying what you do not.

message 7: by Jana (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana So does that mean that you didn't click on "like" button?

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie I disagree i read this when i was 10 and it didnt terrify me,like my like parents said'Dont say things about children until you've had one'so real its all loves and tears for me

message 9: by Jana (last edited Mar 24, 2012 04:11AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana If you need a support group where you will feel that you are not alone in this, you can share your opinion with (current statistics) 257,506 people who rated this book 5 stars or with 107,075 who gave it 4 stars.

message 10: by Ekam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ekam Okay there is a lot wrong with his review first off it is not put on T.V. just for show it is to keep everyone afraid of the capital and for them to show their power. They want to make sure everyone knows they are the ones with control and not the districts.
Second reading is not always about learning its about enjoying a story. If I wanted to learn something from a book I would not read fiction and fantasy books I read for adventure, discovery, romance, and to escape the real world.
Also a lot of people say this book is to graphic with its gore. I don't see it at all I have read a lot worse in my day. Like Kashiels dart. (can't spell the first name.) and even The Sword of Truth books, or now more popularly known as The seeker books. The most graphic seen in this book *Spoiler* *Spoiler* is Rues death I feel and that was not that bad.*end spoiler*
You also say Katniss does not feel remorse or moral issues with killing. She does she even feels bad for Thresh and even has to hide her face from the cameras and she did not even kill him. And when she is sitting in the tree after killing a boy with her bow she feels guilt realizing that was the first person she has ever killed and has to think back to what Gale told her about it being like hunting. So again I disagree with that part of your review.
And did you not even look what the book was about before you read it? You act like you where not ready for there to be violence in this book. Also this book is a YA book not childrens book. I have the feeling you read this book wanting to hate it and did not pay much attention to it from your 3rd paragraph "kill each other, because live TV has become demanding, and the public loves reality blood and violence. That’s it" is what you said and the book many times states a lot of people hate watching it it is only the capital that enjoys it not the districts. And again the capital does it to instill fear into the districts to show the power they have not just for T.V. even though they do enjoy it.

Tamari There's about as much violence in this book as the Bible, the Iliad & Odyssey, Ben-Hur and the Epic of Gilgamesh. I can't believe you're surprised at it's success...

message 12: by Rania (new) - rated it 1 star

Rania it's great to see someone here that agree with me , you rock ..

Julie I'm just scrolling down the page, and your review is the first which is negative. I haven't read the book, but I think that sending kids to a reality show to be killed is just sick.

message 14: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Please don't associate hillbillies with this book. We don't want it either.

Marie Gonzalez Well, I respect your opinion about how this book is violent and such, but in my city, many schools have this book as a novel study due to the very good description and format of it. My school does not have it, but many of my teachers have read it and enjoyed it. I go to a Catholic private school. Also, I know some classmates who have parents who have read and enjoyed this book, and also the whole series. By the way, I was eleven when I read this :). I am glad you liked the first 50 pages though :)!

message 16: by Jana (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana Oh Marie. I'm chasing rainbows with my review.

message 17: by Gopi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gopi I have never watched a “train-wreck” reality show. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever watched a reality show, unless you count the cooking shows like Iron Chef America.

Soupcan This review.
Thank you.
The low cultured ooze of this book seems to go over most people. Glad you also picked it up.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm okay for not liking a book, but that is really low to attack people who loved it.

Kirstyn You will see the how the killing affects her should you read the second novel, and of course the plot is under developed, it's a trilogy so their will be some loose ends to tie up. It's fascinating because it's showing what our voyeuristic culture may turn into as well as a strong female character being the lead.

MomToKippy Excellent review

message 23: by Noel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Noel Oh and u don't have to be a jerk to the people that like the book

message 24: by Jana (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana Hahaha. I am a jerk. Is that good enough.

Somerandom Very well, sir, I do not appreciate you trying to "shield" children from this book. It's not even targeted to them, anyway. Kids need all sorts of experiences. We must not shut them out to a book, simply because we find it distasteful. They must explore on their own. Okay, we may guide them, but do you get my point?

message 26: by Jana (last edited Jan 19, 2013 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana Speak of yourself, I wouldn't allow them. It's something called being born in communism and we are very difficult when we talk about children rights. From my democratic and liberal point of view, I would still shield them from this pop shit. Do you think the children of the world will sue me? Do you get my point.

message 27: by Somerandom (last edited Jan 19, 2013 10:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Somerandom No, they won't sue you, but I will speak up on their behalf. Children should be guided, not shielded. I know what you are saying, though.
I do not like the way a relationship is portrayed in the Twilight series, for example, but I don't go around trying to shield teenagers from it. I would probably discuss with them what I think isn't appropriate about the series, but to deny them a reading experience is to deny them reading!

Trying to get books banned or to shield a child/teenager from a book, instead of using it as an opportunity to get them discussing a potentially interesting topic, is probably not an ideal solution.

message 28: by Jana (last edited Jan 21, 2013 05:49AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana I think we as well have mentality/professional collision here. I wouldn't give Games to my students anymore. Occasionally I work with adolescents and teenagers and two years ago I gave this book as an experiment to a group of ten, to see what they would tell me and I got my proof back that not all 16-20 year olds are brainwashed. Generally they said to me, ''Professor, it's horrible. It's Americanised point of seeing life; this book so clearly propagates their teeth chattering, anxiety and paranoia gripping nonsense where bloodshed with TV coverage is inevitable.'' This is the response that I was given by adolescents.

So I gave them William Golding's ''Lord of the flies''. And they loved it. It represents life cruelty with a message. How things can simply go wrong. Kids don't perceive Golding's book as forcible indoctrination where bigger countries stand beside while smaller countries savagely kill each other, it's just a piglet game, isn't it all. But kids see what authority of the adults represents. Moral verticals, when to stop and what guilty conscience means. In Hunger games, adults kill children because it's fun to watch. I mean, children kill children so adults can watch after they pamper them. So, this is one of the reasons more why I find it utterly disgusting and pointless to read.

So I am not trying to protect the children from books, I am trying to select the bullshit. I don't find Games important enough to recommend.

And why do we get so surprised when we see that kids today are so out of balance, so freaked out, aggressive and without a lead. It's because adults choose to give them ''moonshine and molly'' in a literal way. It's because the praises are focused on wrong things. In my span of influence, I will do what I can to shield them from this written balderdash.

See, Somerandom, in the world of literature, for me, The hunger games are not worth mentioning. Numerous reasons, the biggest of all, it is simply trash.

message 29: by Somerandom (last edited Jan 20, 2013 04:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Somerandom I can see where you're coming from now. That's fair enough.

Though I have to point out the bloodshed is supposed to be grotesque. It's supposed to be uncomfortable and despicable. That was the entire point!
It's supposed to leave you feeling disgusted. The message is supposed to be that violence is absolutely dreadful and how we celebrate in our society is equally appalling.

I agree there is far better quality literature which is far better written out there.

I'm unfamiliar with the phrase "moonshine and molly" though.

I probably wouldn't recommend this book over other books, but it gets kids reading, so really, what can you do? Perhaps they can use it as a stepping stone to get into the genre and discover better written books.

I despised Lord of the Flies when I was a kid. Though that maybe because my teacher was a horrible woman, who loved being right. Hated her.
I should give that book another chance sooner or later.

message 30: by Jana (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana :) Moonshine and molly are slang for alcohol and drugs. Call me demode but I have had enough of violence and grotesqueness. Somerandom, can we agree that we disagree? :)

Somerandom Ahh, I see. I recognized Moonshine, but the word Molly threw me a blank lol!
I'll agree to that. =)

Bennett Oh, I'm sorry, but who said this book was recommended for children? And if u don't like like the violence why don't u...oh, I don't know... NOT READ IT???!!

message 33: by Jana (last edited Jan 24, 2013 03:43AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana Lets make things clear so we can avoid future crap presented only from your point of view: you're not sorry, you are illiterate and you are yelling.

And I presume you're a child, so I will take that as a bonus so I will not tell you what you actually deserve to hear. But I will tell you something. Learn manners when you decide to talk to adults who don't share your opinions. Because ''duh, u, CAPITAL LETTERS'' and other exclamation words such as WOW are not actually words in a proper debate about how bad this book really is.

And one more thing: I've been on your profile. You wrote ''defiantly'' in some of your reviews. Do you know the meaning of that word? It's an adverb. It comes from the word DEFIANCE, which means bold, to challenge somebody's attitude, resistance.

I am pretty sure you meant to write: DEFINITELY. There is a reason why school exists.

Annelida Jana, to quote you directly: "What is there to identify yourself with." Maybe if you had somehow *missed* the sentiments that rose during the Cold War, the futility of the French Revolution, and the rise of Stalin, maybe you think that there is indeed "nothing to identify" yourself with. Your problem is that you think people should be identifying with the characters personally. However, take a step back and try to identify some IDEAS. Think about the way the revolution began to play out in the districts; it was very much a reflection on the historical accounts of revolutions in various countries. Despite the resurgence of new leaders and the constant emergence of old regimes in places like France, masses of people could not exactly analyze what was going on, or preserve their individuality. What is most important in this book is not the fighting, but the way humanity shows against repression. The way Peeta said that when he was out in the Arena, the one thing he would not want to do is lose his individuality. He wanted to remain human despite everything. In the same way, Katniss remained human by forming a bond of love and human compassion with the girl, Rue, and her actions were some of the strongest to compel people (later) to understand just how much the current regime has taken away from them. Katniss' ultimate act of defiance, although maybe a bit unassuming, did not just end that book. You should read the series further (I have not bothered to read the rest of the comments to see if you had) but I think what the book boils down to is that we, individuals, should not trust leaders, no matter what they seem like. Every person has their own agenda. It is better to not take sides, but stay with your own judgement. The most powerful moment,thus, in my mind, is when Katniss kills Coin instead of Snow in the very last novel. She kills the Napoleon before he has the freedom to oppress. She kills the Stalin. She realizes that Hunger Games for the children of the Capitol could never be a solution; but complete reform was. One can take this farther and think of the way the American Colonies, eventually slaves of Britain (haha...THIRTEEN colonies) broke away, while maintaining their own slave system, something they supposedly fought against when they fought with Great Britain. There are so many little historical reflections that one can take from this novel if one looks from the proper philosophical and historical angle, rather than personal experience. I hope no one on Goodreads is put off by narrow reviews such as this one and find their own interesting implications.

Somerandom Annelida wrote: "Jana, to quote you directly: "What is there to identify yourself with." Maybe if you had somehow *missed* the sentiments that rose during the Cold War, the futility of the French Revolution, and th..."

Your entire speech is both polite and articulate, I commend you. I was thinking the book Les Misrables reflects your points as well. In that people could relate to the fight for freedom.

message 36: by Jana (last edited Jan 27, 2013 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana If I were interested in actual IDEAS instead of teenage rubbish I would start reading Engdahl. And my 'missing point' with The hunger games is connected with the things that you talk in theories (take a step back and observe) not practice, while for me, ten years of my life were connected with experience. You go into history like French Revolution? and Cold War. Why don't you write your arguments about current national resistances and uprisings. I don’t need this book to 'read' about how people change inevitably under regimes and to maybe discover in Katniss who I am as an individual and to realise the boundaries of my empathy. I don’t empathise with the characters in this book. Too bad the title isn’t Retaliation for Dummies 1.0.

And this is where your argument failed miserably. ''Every person has their own agenda. It is better to not take sides, but stay with your own judgement.'' Because in real life, in the comfort zone of your library, far away from the actual things, you think that you would not picks sides and that you would simply observe like in a laboratory. Sure you will look at it from the proper philosophical and historical angle, if you don't have personal hurt in it.

I gladly identify myself with my subjective narrow-mindedness because gathering people into resistance is not some childish and miserable attempt of one Katniss to fight against the giant wasps, was it bees. Is sure do have problem with categorizing insects.

message 37: by Annelida (last edited Jan 27, 2013 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annelida Hmm... I could write something about current politics and national resistances here, but having a sense of your self-proclaimed liberalism, I realize that my arguments will be futile. At least at the moment.
Some of my points may actually not come clashing with your liberalism, but I am still not comfortable voicing them on a public website where they may esily be accessible to anyone. This also addresses the "failure of my point" since if I could say that the personal effects of the government on me only reflects the way it is perceived by its supporters, then maybe I would agree with you. You speak of democracy somewhere...you think that an election with two candidates due to their obscene monetary support is democratic? Really? Do you honestly "support" any candidate, or any other public figure whose real persona and agenda can only leave you guessing?
I can also say hey, why don't I go read Locke if I want to learn about humanity and resistance. The thing is... I already have.
The beauty of this book is it sees in the future rather than the past. It asks us what will happen if we combine poverty, reality shows such as "Survivor" and the Olympics where just under 20% of athletes in each discipline get hurt just to honor their country. A few even die. Hunger Games is a big leap from reality , maybe even an impossible one, but it nevertheless asks us why MILLIONS of people care more about watching their favorite episode of a reality TV show rather than thinking of a solution to the many of humanity's impending problems.

message 38: by Jana (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana You are very self-deprecating, it's enjoyable to read about but try to be more vocal and not censure yourself. I criticize all the time but my liberal opinions have vast magnitudes. I am very harsh with things as I don’t condone global stupidity and shallowness and I'm attuned to oppression. You think that criticism is a form of prejudice. But it is not, voicelessness is a form of fear. But you have to realise where radicalism and distastefulness begin. It’s not a question of who has bigger or more bruised ego but how straight your spine is.

What I don’t understand from your reply is how you think you know my opinion on ‘political heroes and icons’ of our time and what I think about democracy since I didn’t write anything about it. But I am glad that you read Locke, high five for you. I hope you felt the under current taste of irony.

Just see Annelida, these things and a lot more don’t worry me in a context of this particular book. I didn’t write my review in a whim and whatever you say, whatever I say, in the end I will still see The hunger games as pointless and degeneric. Because maybe in your constant alarming code red society you think of this book as eyes opening, but let me whisper you something: you have blindfolds. In my review I asked the same question as you asked me just I asked them from the opposite side of the river bank: why MILLIONS of people care more about watching their favourite episode of a reality TV show rather than thinking of a solution to the many of humanity's impending problems.

This book didn't give me any answers but it just made hysteria more palpable and devaluated some other real concerns.

Annelida The second you pulled out something I wrote on my profile for the public to see, I realized that it is pretty futile to argue with you. I'll withhold all arguments just so you don't waste your time on someone who pities you. Good luck, and may the odds ever be in to your favor!

message 40: by Jana (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana Thank you. Finally.

Campbellrbook hey! it's totally awesome1

Mackenzie Ok first of all. You obviously didn't read the rest of the trilogy and that's why you don't know this. The rest of the trilogy is basically about war. I'm 13 and it has taught me so much. It's taught me that war isn't fair. Life isn't fair for that matter. It taught me that war can be a surprise and also surprising. I mean in Mockingjay, and excuse me for some spoilers, there were some characters deaths that I just wasn't expecting. It came as a shock.if you don't want your children reading this, that's fine, everyone's entitle to their opinion cause honestly there are some like 4th graders at my school that have read it and I honestly think that is crazy. You don't need to rant about how parents shouldn't let their kids reads read the book and say that they aren't prepared to be a parent if they do because that is just cruel. My parents are very responsible and respectable and they trust me. It's not like I'm gonna go around shooting people with a bow and arrow! And just to let you know, my role model is Jennifer Lawrence, yes that's right, our very own Katniss. She is from the same city as I am, she is funny, and she isn't caught up in this whole famous thing.

message 43: by Jana (last edited Feb 10, 2013 02:43AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana Actually Mackenzie, I'm 17 and have a 2 year old child. Teenage pregnancy, yeah!

message 44: by Jana (last edited Feb 12, 2013 01:45AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana Pathetic. That's the word.

Lauren Amen. Book was crap.

message 46: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily 3 things

1. It's supposed to be graphic, it's the HUNGER GAMES!!!! theyre not gonna be dancing w/ butterflies in the meadow

2. It's ages 12-18 maybe the reason u h8ed it is cuz u didnt pay attention

3. Katniss DOES learn moral lessons theyre in the 2 & 3 books

Becki I think that this is a good example of how different people can read the same work of fiction and take away different messages, or no messages at all. This is really a testimony to the power of life experience and personal values to the things that we take away from what we read.

For me, the brutality of the story wasn't in the Games themselves, but in the Government that oppressed the Districts with the Games. I see the governing force and not the people who killed or watched the bloodshed. But then, I also enjoyed books like The Long Walk and The Running Man (both by Richard Bachman), which are both incredibly gory and violent and where the main purpose of the story was watching people die for the pleasure of others. Or, as I believe was the point in The Long Walk, population control.

message 48: by Rena (new)

Rena From a stand point of literature the book in itself is not a major literary work. But from the stand point of being full of action, intigue, entertainment then the book is very good at that.

Jordan I feel that to this kind of reaction to the book, you have to be looking at it the complete wrong way. There are so many things about what you said that I wholeheartedly disagree with (predominantly the portion where you alleged that Katniss has no moral struggles). I would tell you my entire opinion, but truthfully, it would likely turn into an essay rather than a simple comment. However, there is one thing I would like to mention. The thing that irked me the most about your review was not that you didn’t like it (I believe that everyone should be entitled to their own opinion), but rather how you essentially called the book shallow, MTV/pop-culture, consumer, hillbilly trash. I find that pretty disrespectful to the author, and frankly, everyone who is a fan of The Hunger Games. All you had to say was that you simply didn’t like the book and thought it was too violent-instead you went on to trash the book and insult the its fans and the parents who let their children read it. I’m not trying to be mean or rude; I just believe that you yourself were a tad uncouth.
P.S. Also, it’s fairly evident that you didn’t read the book that well if you think the Hunger Games were put in place solely because society has become ruthless and blood-thirsty. Did you forget about the entire war that split North America into its current districts and put the Capitol in its position of utter power in the first place? That’s what led to the Hunger Games, not “the decay of society” or suchlike.

« previous 1 3 4