Drew's Reviews > The Grapes of Wrath

May 03, 07

bookshelves: fiction, favorites
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in February, 2003, read count: 4

This is by far my favorite book of all time for several reasons. Steinbeck always creates some of the deepest characters I've ever read. Tom Joad is my favorite character in any piece of literature. His growth from a self-serving ex-con to a Christ-like hero is an embodiment of the entire Joad family. Every time I read his lines to Ma when he says "Every time there is a cop beatin' a guy...look in their eyes Ma, You'll see me" or something like that, I think of that Rage Against the Machine song and I get chills.

Also, the way Steinbeck deals with immigration issues and poverty are great. Chapter 5 when the poor farmer confronts the tractor that is going to kick him off his land blows my mind every time. It deals with a time when the US economy was shifting from rural to urban in increasing numbers. It also is a clash between a farming economy and a capitalist economy with the captialists winning out. The description of the bank as a monster that must be fed for reasons we don't understand is very appropriate.

Steinbeck wrote an amazing book that I would encourage anyone to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grapes of Wrath.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kira Polevaya I was greatly influenced by this book. The moment that impressed me most was the last scene of the novel in which Rose of Sharon shares her breast milk with a man dying from starvation...

Angela Sellers I just got done reading this book for my honors english class, and I have to say it is one of my favorite books that I have read for class. (even though East of Eden is way better) I really enjoyed the dicussions we had over this book because you can really disect and analyze it.

Callum Empson Yeah- when hes talkin to her when she sneaks out to tell him Ruthie leaked the secret he says that- him and Casy were amazing people. When he was talkina bout that, i love how he is meaning that he will be workin against to stop those things because he has been through them, or been close to people who have.

Paul That song is actually a cover of Bruce Springsteen. Good stuff

message 5: by Nsf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nsf I love your comparison to Tom Joad as a "Christ-like hero". I've noticed Steinbeck incorporates relgious themes and allegories into many of his stories, like Of Mice and Men. It adds a level of depth to the story and the characters that other authors try to imitate.