David Bales's Reviews > Emperors in the Jungle: The Hidden History of the U.S. in Panama

Emperors in the Jungle by John Lindsay-Poland

2007954
Jun 03, 10

bookshelves: 2010

A devastating look at American relations with Panama over the last hundred or so years, a century of manipulation, abuse and domination by "El Norte" over the isthmus which Theodore Roosevelt wrested from Colombia in 1903 to be America's puppet. Roosevelt dug a canal through Panama and set into motion a hundred years of treating the Panamanians as second-class citizens in their own country. The American military dominated, even outside the "Canal Zone" which until 1999 was more or less American soil. Particularly onerous abuses included the testing of chemical weapons, the expropriation of Panamanian land and the typical, manipulation of the political system. All this happened long before our invasion of Panama in 1989 to overthrow our client dictator, Manuel Noriega, who had been hired by the CIA as long ago as the 1950s to be an informer, and whose drug connections were well known and concealed. Not our finest record; very disgusting but informative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emperors in the Jungle.