Mary-Beth's Reviews > The Sandman: Book of Dreams

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman

119580
Dec 08, 07

bookshelves: shortstories, fiction, fantasy

This is the first book I read with Gaiman's name on the cover. Big mistake. I used to enjoy picking up books of short stories because I figured it gave me a glimpse into lots of potential authors I could end up reading and liking. So it's not that I minded that there doesn't seem to be a single story by Gaiman in this collection (as far as I remember - I sold the book to a used bookstore ages ago).

No, what bothered me is that these stories were all about Gaiman's fictional world. Now, I've belonged to fanfiction communities and I don't want to knock these endeavors, so I am not sure what it is about a book of short stories written in an author's universe and published with that author's name on the cover that bothers me.

Wait, yes I do, it's that, in my experience, these books always suck. I say this as someone who has read more than one of them - some by Lackey and Norton are the ones I am remembering now. I'm going to go with the idea that authors should never be the editors of these books - they should never ever choose which stories best interpret their own writing, because I think they suck at choosing such stories. Anyway, this collection made me feel I never want to read Gaiman's Sandman series. I know it's unfair, but there it is. If these are the stories he feels best represent that universe than I have no interest whatsoever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman.