All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Happy Hour at Casa Dracula

Aug 12, 2010

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in August, 2010

Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

Funny and urban fantasy are not words that often go together, at least not intentionally, but HAPPY HOUR AT CASA DRACULA is the rare exception combining cool characters, witty dialogue, and laugh out loud moments in this Jane Austen channeled vampire romp.

Milangro had a strong voice and her outlook on life was hilarious in a Bridget Jones meets Charo kind of way, and there were several bitable vampires who pursued her, but it was the vampire matriarch, Edna who stole this book for me. She was prickly, condescending, and subtly insulting every time she spoke. I loved her.

And did I mention funny? I laughed so hard while reading HAPPY HOUR AT CASA DRACULA that I actually had to put the book down at one point because I was crying too hard to see the pages (it was the scene where Edna takes Milangro shopping for the second time).

Was it predictable? Yes. Was it groundbreaking in terms of world building? No. But it was smart, and clever, and great fun from beginning to end. If you’re feeling a little depressed by all the somber plotlines in most urban fantasy books, HAPPY HOUR AT CASA DRACULA is like a shot of margarita flavored sunshine in you tukis. I’m already planning my next visit to Casa Dracula.

Sexual Content: References to sex. A few mild sex scenes. A few mild scenes of sensuality.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Hour at Casa Dracula.