Maureen's Reviews > Havah: The Story of Eve

Havah by Tosca Lee

May 04, 2010

bookshelves: favorites

Perhaps it's because I never ventured into other novels that dared to give narrative to the first woman, but I loved this book in a way that speaks to my soul. Tosca delicately weaves the tale and intimately describes emotions that I sometimes think I know too well without ever actually labeling them. Her depiction of the perfect joy and sheer simplicity before the fall, as well as the horror of disconnection and hurt within silence afterward will be things that I will now always link intricately with the story of Eve. I especially loved the way the complexities with which Cain is portrayed in this book.

I feel like there is so much I want to say and not enough ways to say them, it's not the first time I wish I could communicate the way Tosca portrayed the silent knowing and connection Eve had with Adam, with God, and even with the Earth itself. Such a beautiful, beautiful book. It's undeniably founded on the Christian faith as I know it, but even aside from that I think it's a remarkable work of art. I gobbled it in the time frame of about 15 hours and willingly endured the roller coaster of emotions Tosca forced me to go on throughout the book. Love, love, love. I am totally going to read her other book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Havah.