Happyreader's Reviews > Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life

Savor by Thich Nhat Hanh

Jun 24, 10

bookshelves: spirituality, food-and-drink, mind-altering, health-and-diet
Read in June, 2010

For a book presented as improving your eating habits through mindfulness, it read as mindless and scattered. A quick intro to Buddhist thought followed by dietary and exercise guidelines followed by tips and a plea for a more mindful global food community. I feel like the true author, Lilian Cheung, was looking for a new angle for a diet book and applied mindfulness as a trendy hook. I’m not sure how helpful this book would be to anyone who is unfamiliar with Buddhist thought or the current dietary guidelines (which are changing in December since dietary guidelines are impermanent). Would it confuse them or prompt them to investigate either mindfulness practice or planning a healthy diet further? As someone who is familiar with both, I felt like I was being offered a string of commands – eat without your iPod or TV, eat more vegetables, walk more and mindfully. One meditation did make me laugh – “Breathing in, the remote control is in my hand./Breathing out, why am I watching television?”

If this had truly been a Thich Nhat Hanh book, it would have focused solely on being mindful and being present and engaging with what comes up when you eat, feel the urge to eat, and how you engage with your body, movement and your environment. It would have had more depth and focused less on mindfulness as a form of behavior modification and more on mindfulness as truly staying present with the actual emotional reactions and responses so that they could have been transformed through awareness. There would have been moments when suddenly you saw something in a new light and that never happened for me with this book.

The advice in the book is valid just not presented with any depth that could truly transform your relationship with food and eating.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savor.