Jimmy Hanson's Reviews > A Vampire in Waikiki

A Vampire in Waikiki by A.J. Llewellyn

May 07, 10

bookshelves: 2010, pick-it-challenges, m-m
Read on May 06, 2010, read count: 1

DEFINITELY loved this book. I'm hesitating to put in my favorites only because I usually reserve that for books I've read twice and loved just as much both times ... but I have no doubts that "A Vampire in Waikiki" will end up there soon.

The first few pages started out in the middle of a scene and WOW, it just didn't let go from there. I read it in a span of three-sits over 4 hours not because I skimmed it but rather because I COULD NOT put it down. This is one of those that I'd probably have stayed awake 'til 2 in the morning reading [which is saying a lot, for me:].

My only notes: the change of names and nicknames kind of got on my nerves a bit - including 'darling' 'honey' 'my love' and the switch from Jimmy to Div, from Angelis to Tem [Although I DID like the latter change:].

And the Hawaiian references - great and really grounding, reminding the reader where the novel is taking place, but the over-abundance of them bogged me down because I'm not a native. It was also disconcerting that a few of the names were constantly italicized while others were not; I kept automatically stressing them because they were italicized [you know, in that internal dialogue you have:] and would stumble over it EVERY TIME. argh.

Still, not enough to ruin the book. Oh, and I love Moonlight at the end. Cute wrap-up, involving him. ^_^

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Vampire in Waikiki.