Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Tender Morsels

Jun 01, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: kat-s-book-reviews
Read in January, 2010

I actually had no expectations of this book. I suppose, since I already knew about a few of the more disturbing things about this book, that I was already prepared to face it.

What I wasn't prepared for was how utterly bored I'd be. It was quite infuriating really. There were many characters I severely disliked and the plot was very awkward.

I made it about half way through the book before I threw my hands up in disgust and gave up. It just didn't seem to be going anywhere!

So I really can't give it an honest review but the themes of violence, abuse, sexual assault and the heavy usage of bestiality were simply too awkward and gross for me to continue reading.

I fully understand that this is a retelling of a fairytale, however I really didn't enjoy the revelling in the gore that it did. It felt kind of cheap when you're already working with such controversial material to then almost glorify it as I felt Lanagan often did then I think it cheapens the whole work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tender Morsels.

05/31/2010 page 43
9.86% "Oh good lord..." 4 comments

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

hey! sorry you didnt like it after i recommended you read it. :)

Tatiana I can understand how this book might not be to everyone's taste...

Kat Kennedy Hey it's okay, Ariel! I can see why this book came so highly recommended, it just really wasn't my cup of tea and I think a lot of it was just the squick factor. I tend to squick easily.

Kat Kennedy Ryan wrote: "I agree, this was very weird and awful, and really pushed the limits of YA. But I think what I most appreciated was its originality. I might even read more by her in the future, though this one was..."

Yeah that's understandable. I might read other stuff from her. It was original at least!

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 09, 2010 04:41PM) (new)

I loved it. It totally blew me away. :)

She wrote a wonderful short story in Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction.

Edited: Actually I think the story I'm thinking of was in Black Juice. But Firebirds Soaring is an awesome collection!

Ronyell Great review Kat! I agree that this book was a bit too disturbing, especially with the whole woman making out with a bear scene.

Kat Kennedy Yes, it was just a bit freaky!

Ronyell Yeah and the beginning was just as bad!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't even make it past the second kid - I can't imagine how the rest of the book turned out.

message 10: by Azzy (new)

Azzy I feel your pain. I kept waiting for it to hit the climax, but it never did. Only got halfway

Writerbizwoman Bored - that was the word I was looking for!

message 12: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell oh never mind. you read it!

Kat Kennedy LOL. Yes, I have. Completely forgot about it! Damn I could have added it to my list.