Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > Pygmy

May 04, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: summer-2010
Read from July 05 to 06, 2010

I have no idea why i read this book so fast. To get it over with? To get through the feeling of embarrassment for Palahniuk? I don't know. What I do know is that it is NOT a good book.

It's presented in "dispatches" that the main character is sending back to his home country, whilst on a terrorist mission in the US. Okay, cool idea. The problem? If Pygmy is sending these messages back to his home country, then why the hell is he speaking in this terrible, hideously obnoxious broken ass English? Yeah, I know its an experiment, and otherwise we wouldn't be able to read the language. But, hello, we solved that problem years ago. It's called writing in English and letting the reader know that the characters are speaking a foreign language. But, alas, this IS Palahniuk. "By the books" are three words he does not live by.

I'm gonna let you guys read an excerpt, the one i found most insanely confusing, from the book. Keep in mind, the entire book is written this way:

"For official record, no yet legal adopted so become full member host family Cedar. Making all effort resist absorption into American cult of the individual, traditional method entrenched oligarchy so maintain own power: Fracture citizen isolated into different religion, different race, different family. Label as rich culture diversity. Cleave as unique until each citizen stand alone. Until each vote invested no value. Single citizen celebrated as special - in actual, remaining no power."

Got a headache yet? It got to the point of me having to skim passages, sometimes pages, in the hopes of finishing the book.

Okay, Chuck, this would be the second disappointment (although Tell All is fucking Harry Potter compared to this). Next year's Damned, which has a great premise, better be awesome. Hell, I'd settle for it being readable.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pygmy.

07/05/2010 page 51