Allen's Reviews > Awaydays

Awaydays by Kevin Sampson

197865
Dec 08, 07

Recommended for: People who like to watch youtube videos of Hooligans
Read in November, 2007

Eric lent me this (he is my goto for all books footy related) suggesting it to me as the most literary of all the books on hooligans he has read. I agree. It helps that it is a work of fiction rather than the usual docudrama nonsense that you get (I'm looking at you Cass) about 4 lads from West Ham going up against 4k gruff geezers from Millwall who were well up for it.
It has a similar feel to the film "This is England". That sort of brief window into someone's life and that life just happens to include fancy dannery and stanley knives. Plus the firm this lad rolls with are fecking Tranmere Rovers supporter. Who the fuck supports Tranmere? Well I guess there was that one chap on 606 the other night who admitted that though he was Liverpool through and through he harbored a secreted love for the Rovers.

The book is well written and using the colloquial vernacular of Merseyside it makes for an interesting world to enter. I had just gotten my head around everyone referring to pigs as "Old Bill" and now this scouse has to introduce "busies" into my lexicon? WTF?

If you enjoy watching Danny Dyer walk like a fucking duck around England talking to "some right naughty firms" check this book out for a more intelligent look into the culture.

Plus there is plenty of sex and even a guest appearance from a bescarfed doctor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaydays.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Eric Brilliant review. Don't forget, Half Man Half Biscuit were Tranmere supporters!!!