Teen's Reviews > The Dead-Tossed Waves

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

May 04, 2010

bookshelves: zombies, violence, romance, audience-h-s, audience-girl, urban-fantasy, post-apocalyptic

In this sequel to The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Carrie Ryan surpasses herself. While I enjoyed The Forest of Hands and Teeth, I wasn’t drawn in by the characters. I actually only read it because The Dead-Tossed Waves sounded intriguing. In The Dead-Tossed Waves, Ryan takes us back to post-apocalyptic zombie ravaged North America. The sequel centers around Mary’s daughter, Gabry, who has grown up far away from the forest of her mother’s birth. Her mother’s disappearance and the aftermath of one reckless night forces Gabry and her friends to make hard choices and leave the safety of everything they’ve known. Gabry is at first a little annoying because she is so timid and fearful however, what adds depth to The Dead-Tossed Waves is the journey that Gabry is forced to take both literally and figuratively. Without her mother to rely on, Gabry is forced to take risks and face challenges that force her to grow stronger.
There is more background into the mystery of where the zombies/Mudo/Unconsecrated originated but the book ends with an obvious set-up for a third (and possibly final?) book. The twist near the end of the book will be unexpected for many readers which, added to a love triangle with a childhood sweetheart (Catcher) and dark and mysterious stranger (Elias) creates a near perfect storm of great urban fantasy.

*Plus, the cover is fantastic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead-Tossed Waves.