Kathy's Reviews > Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper

Dec 08, 07

bookshelves: preschool, picture-books, childrens
Read in October, 2007

We're well into October and as my three-year-old, Sammy, keeps saying, "It's almost Halloween!" I hit the bookstore a few days ago and returned with this book. It has Sammy's seal of approval. Pumpkin Soup is a rollicking tale of three friends: Cat, Squirrel, and Duck. They live together happily in a little white cabin and every day they make pumpkin soup, the best you've every tasted! The Cat slices the pumpkin, the Squirrel stirs the soup, and the Duck measures out the salt. One day Duck decides to mix things up (literally) when he demands to stir the soup instead of doing his regular job. Cat and Squirrel are mad and Duck moves out. Will they ever make pumpkin soup together again? The curious preschooler will want to know.

This book is also a great springboard to cooking with kids. After I read the book to Sammy, we made pumpkin soup together (okay, it was really butternut squash soup, but who's gonna know?). Sammy really enjoyed slicing up the pumpkin (like the Cat), stirring (like the Squirrel), and measuring the salt (like the Duck). And the soup? Well, it was the best you ever tasted, of course!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pumpkin Soup.