colleen the fabulous fabulaphile's Reviews > Clash of the Demons

Nov 18, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: horror-esque, middle-grade
Read from November 16 to 17, 2010 — I own a copy

In general, I've really enjoyed this series. But this latest installment just didn't do much for me. My biggest complaints are as follows:

*** potentially spoilerish ***

1) In a lot of the books, but this one in particular, Tom seems to have more happen to him, and gets saved by others or by luck. He's not very proactive, and while he does do well in a fight now and again, I would expect more from someone who's been training for several years and have been in as many tight spots as he is.

2) Thomas, 14 throughout most of the book but 15 at the end, doesn't think much for himself. Everything is "my master told me" or "Mam told me". The only conflict in thought comes because the Spook and his mother disagree.

I understand loving his mom and respecting the Spook, and wanting to make them happy - but shouldn't a 15 year old boy have some rebellious thoughts? I mean, he pretty much knows that his mother only had him to make him a weapon against the dark, and he's like "well, it's Mam, and I'm sure she did the right thing."

Even when he sometimes, fleetingly, wishes something was different, he never has any moments of rebellion - not even small ones.

That does change a bit towards the end of this book, so I'm hoping that stuff gets a little deeper and less black/white.

3) Even thought Thomas has aged several years, he still seems to think, talk and act like he did back when he was 11. There doesn't seem to be much character change or growth.

*** /spoilers ***
Not that the book was bad, and I guess I'm just going to have to get over some of my gripes, because I don't foresee things changing that much. This story did have a lot going on, and it certainly sets up some interesting potential for future installments, so I'm nowhere near giving up on the series - but it could be more than what it is, and I'm just disappointed that it's not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clash of the Demons.

11/16/2010 page 50
12.0% "I don't understand why Delaney would use the maenads, correctly refer to the myths of their frenzy and accompanying bloodlust, but then would create a goddess that they worshipped called the Ordeen instead of using Dionysus. I mean, why use some aspects of actual mythos at all, or why not go all the way with it?
Meh - whatever.
I'm curious to see what happens with Tom."
11/17/2010 page 231
56.0% "I do hope that Tom starts thinking for himself at some point in the series."
show 1 hidden update…