Katrina Burchett's Reviews > Manifest

Manifest by Artist Arthur

May 06, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal, kimani-tru, books-i-own
Read from April 26 to 27, 2012

It happened when she was five, and then again when she was twelve, and now at age fifteen… Krystal Bentley can see dead people.

I like the way the story began; it certainly made me want to read on. I did think Krystal went from not wanting to help Ricardo (Ricky) Watson – a dead teenage guy - to anticipating his next visit pretty quickly, though. But then again, she was lonely. She felt so alone that she began to have feelings for Ricky – again, a dead guy. Now, that’s really lonely. My reaction: ‘Oh, my goodness. I don’t think so!! Ricky’s a likeable character, but he’s dead.’ Manifest is fiction but are there people who can see things in the spiritual realm? Yes, I believe there are. But having feelings for a dead person was a bit much. I was concerned for Krystal.

Krystal had to move from New York City to Lincoln, Connecticut, because her mother left her father. She wasn’t happy with her situation and I wasn’t happy with the way she disrespected her mother. I know she was upset about not having her dad around, but being mean to her mother wasn’t going to bring him back. It seemed the blended family problems could have been avoided if Krystal would have trusted that her mother knew what was best. Instead of judging the woman for a choice she made and distancing herself from the one person who loved her more than anybody else, Krystal could have been more supportive.

When this book was released the cover immediately caught my eye – it is beautiful because the girl is beautiful – but I wasn’t sure I wanted to read it after finding out about Krystal’s ghost-whispering talent. I wanted to give it a try, but I wasn’t sure what to expect. I kept thinking it would be too creepy or too scary for my taste. However, I have stepped outside of my comfort zone lately when it comes to my reading choices, so now was the time to purchase Manifest. What happened to Ricky was sad, as well as what was happening with teenage girls at Settlemans High. The mystery of it all kept me reading, because, of course, I had to know who was responsible. And with all of the ‘supernatural-ghost whisperer-spirits walking around having conversations with the living’ that took place, there was nothing about Manifest I couldn’t handle reading. I was glad about that, because I need to be able to sleep at night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manifest.