Sierra's Reviews > Feed

F_50x66
May 20, 10

bookshelves: ad-lit-class-shelf
Read in May, 2010

** spoiler alert ** My immediate reaction after closing this book was to pull up my Goodreads account and tear into it because I hated it so much. I think, however, that the car ride home from Starbucks gave me time to reflect on the book, and I can't really tear into it like I planned. I have to give less than subtle props to M.T. Anderson for his artistry. He created a futuristic world with language extremely well, and sucked me into the depression that is life less than fully lived. He created the most detestable narrator since Holden Caulfield (I know, I should probably expect backlash for that comment). I HATED his narrator. And yet that was the point of his whole novel. He expertly created a protagonist so desensitized by his feed (a little brain chip in your body that gives you access to the internet, controls all your bodily functions, and feeds you endless mercantile propaganda), that he can't even display a human amount of emotion when his thoughtful, empathetic, beautiful girlfriend's feed goes into malfunction and takes her life. It was... Love Story meets... Shade's Children meets...Notes from the Underground (shudder)... meets The Departed (for language).
The book explores chilling themes about the direction that our society is headed; supposedly we are headed to a completely capitalistic society where human interaction can be fabricated to "Chatting with the feed," where one does not have to read or write, where the only thing that matters is the material one has amassed. He discusses themes of how technology will control us to the point where it can even become a tool to rob us of our own lives if we lend it complete control. So all in all, I am way depressed after reading it, but a little bit in awe of the world Anderson created. I can't say I totally hated it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.