Garrett Burnett's Reviews > Home: A Memoir of My Early Years

Home by Julie Andrews Edwards

May 04, 2010

liked it
Read in May, 2010

Julie Andrews' memoir covers her earliest childhood memories through being cast as Mary Poppins--her first movie. She has no wild revelations, and she has an extremely difficult time being disparaging about anyone, even those that clearly should be lambasted. She spends a lot of time talking about her Broadway career--My Fair Lady, Camelot, etc.--and includes such anecdotes as Richard Burton, drunk, having a urinating contest in her apartment kitchen during a party. Ultimately, Ms. Andrews comes across very much as the person you always hoped she was.

It's not an exciting book, but I'd recommend it to any Broadway buffs or Julie Andrews fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Would you read this again? I am undecided as to whether I should venture into this book.

Garrett Burnett Rebecca wrote: "Would you read this again? I am undecided as to whether I should venture into this book."

I wouldn't read it a second time, but I am glad to have read it. It held my attention. If you don't like the first chapter, it's more of the same throughout.