Charisse's Reviews > The Invisible Bridge

Jun 15, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Charisse by: amazon
Read in June, 2010

A heartwrenching, heartwarming, INCREDIBLE story about a Jewish Hungarian family trying to survive during the second World War. I gave it 4 stars because it really was too long. The first half of the book moved very slowly. I enjoyed getting to know the main characters: Brothers Andras and Tibor Levi, Klara, Polaner. However, much could have been edited out (IMO).

The second half of the book picks up as tragedy after tragedy occurs. The family struggles desparately to stay together as the Hungary's role in the war evolves and changes.

I highly recommend this book - try to stick with the beginning. Someone suggested it was more of an old fashioned novel, a slow unwinding of the story. Maybe so - definately worth sticking it out!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Bridge.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Charisse I am CURRENTLY reading this - It wouldn't allow me to pick that option?!!! This thing is HEAVY!! I need a Kindle - I'm hopping on a plane tomorrow and lugging this along!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie There have been some weird things going on since GoodReads went "Facebook" (changed their style). As soon as one glitch gets cleared up, there seems to be another. Reminds me of old CLBB days!

message 3: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Charisse wrote: "I am CURRENTLY reading this - It wouldn't allow me to pick that option?!!! This thing is HEAVY!! I need a Kindle - I'm hopping on a plane tomorrow and lugging this along!"

Trust me, reading it on a Kindle might make it lighter, but unfortunately it isn't going to make the book, which badly needed an editor, any shorter. :-)

Charisse ALMOST done!!! I'm on vacation (in really really hot Florida) and should finish this today on the beach :) I promise to brush out the sand before I give it back!!

Chris Great review, Charisse! You're right about the beginning. When I think back, SO much happened! And although I found it a little on the slow side, I never thought about giving up, I was entrenched in the story, even though it definitely wasn't a quick read. I feel like I've been in Hungary for weeks! :-)