Josephine Myles's Reviews > Special Delivery

Special Delivery by Heidi Cullinan

May 29, 10

bookshelves: gay-romance, gay-fiction
Read from May 03 to 05, 2010

This is one of those novels where if you describe the premise it can sound incredibly seedy, but it really isn't because of the sensitive way it's written. It's all told from the point of view of Sam, a twenty-one year old gay nursing student living with unsympathetic guardians in a small Iowa town. One day he has what he assumes to be a one-off sexual encounter with a delivery driver in the back of his truck, but when he accidentally leaves his phone behind, Mitch has a reason to contact him. After a few weeks and one more meeting to return his phone, Sam runs away with Mitch, offering him his body in return for the ride. At thirty-three, Mitch has a chequered past, most of which he doesn't want to share with Sam, but as he has a kink for domination and voyeurism and Sam is keen to submit, they are a good match.

I will warn you now, there is a lot of sex in this book, much of it kinky and involving toys, bondage, public display and threesomes. However, it most certainly is not there purely to titillate – although it certainly will do that if you're into reading about that kind of thing - as this is a voyage of discovery for Sam and every sexual encounter brings the two men closer emotionally, despite Mitch's guilt over his past and Sam's low self-esteem.

What I most loved about this novel was the character of Sam, whose sunny personality and innate sweetness was the perfect foil for Mitch's gruff and taciturn character. Both of them really came alive, as did Mitch's old friend Randy, and I'm so pleased to learn that Heidi has written more about these characters, with Double Blind delving more into Randy's life, and an upcoming novel planned to feature them all again.

If you want a well written love story with plenty of kinky sex combined with a really sweet romance, then you can't go far wrong with Special Delivery. I loved it so much I've read it twice already!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Special Delivery.

05/11/2010 page 227