Viridian5's Reviews > The Bonehunters

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson

May 24, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from May 03 to 23, 2010

I enjoyed Steven Erikson's The Bonehunters more than his last book in this series, Midnight Tides, but my problem with Midnight Tides is more about my expectations when reading a series than Erikson failing as a writer. I found Midnight Tides involving enough once I really got into it, but it felt like a huge digression from the events of the previous novels and Erikson choosing to talk about this part of Trull Sengar's history after he'd already been introduced in what appeared to be the future which was in House of Chains threw me off.

His decision to write Trull in this way still mystifies me somewhat, but The Bonehunters is the payoff to Midnight Tides as the events and people of Midnight Tides catch up with our series regulars. I forgot that Erikson never does a useless digression; they always pay off eventually, even if it's hundreds of pages and a different novel later. I enjoy his intersection novels more because it gives me a lot of pleasure to see all these people and plotlines intersect and build on each other.

The Bonehunters mainly follows the Fourteenth after its last battle in House of Chains and the people from other plotlines who come to belong to it, with some digressions into Cotillion's plans (which aren't always working as he'd like), Trull and his T'lan Imass buddy, Ganoes Paran, Crokus and his group, Icarium and his companion, and Karsa's travels. Everybody faces challenges, tragedies, and betrayals. The reader doesn't have much space to get bored. *g* I also appreciate the moments of comedy amid the heavier moments.

Definitely recommended, but this is so totally a series where you have to read all the books that come before the latest one so you won't be totally lost.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bonehunters.

05/03/2010 page 90