Bookworm1858's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: own, read-2012, sffp, romance
Read from January 28 to 29, 2012

I've been wanting to read this for a while after seeing many enthusiastic review but I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I picked it up. Was it steampunk? Paranormal? A romance? Kind of all of those but most especially the last two with the steampunk elements appearing but not being very developed in my opinion. Of course, this is a series so there's lots of potential for more to come.

The main character is Alexia, an Italian looking spinster who just happens to be soulless. This means that whenever she touches one of the paranormal creatures such as a vampire or werewolf, they are transformed into a harmless human. Such creatures are acknowledged by the rest of human society and are governed by their own strict rules. Until they are not, as new creations appear without being brought up in their society rules and others mysteriously disappear. Most baffling! Of course Alexia is drawn in to this through her unique power but also due to her forthrightness and curiosity; no one can keep her away.

Not even the alpha wolf of her parts, Lord Maccon. Their relationship is full of back and forth, reminiscent as pointed out by the Book Smugglers of Amelia Peabody and her husband Emerson to their disappointment but my delight. It seemed familiar and utterly charmed me but I couldn't figure out why. This is the reason why I ultimately felt that the romance part of the book was the main plot despite the many subgenres poking their way in. I am hopeful that when I read the second book, I will be just as enthralled with their dynamic.

As for the rest of the story, I actually found it a bit confusing, attempting to decipher how Carriger governs her supernatural creatures as well as trying to uncover the mystery. I did figure out a few tiny things but not nearly enough. Oh well, at least I greatly enjoyed the journey!

For additional fun, check out this dress up doll and a video of how the cover for the third book Blameless came to be created-I interacted with these even before reading and it was so much fun! These are some great marketing tools. I highly recommend you check these out even if you have no interest in the book itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

01/28/2012 "I'm loving it!"