Bry's Reviews > Magic to the Bone

Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk

Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011, urban-fantasy, series
Read from June 13 to 19, 2011

Allie Beckstrom is stupid.

She has a career doing 'detective' work in the magical sense, she was educated at an ivy league university, she was raised by an extremely intelligent and manipulative man - yet somehow she emerged from all of this A COMPLETE IDIOT.

I was constantly amazed by her ability to land in life threatening situations without meaning to, to underestimate her friends, family, and enemies, and her completely lack of ability to recognize those who wanted to help her, hurt her, and just plain destroy her. I mean take Mama for instance. Allie kept going back to her place even though every time she walks in the door one of Mama's sons is constantly pointing a gun at her, people lying to her, manipulating her, and flat out threatening her. Hello!! They don't want you there!! Some of them even want to seriously hurt you!! STOP GOING BACK!! But no! She treats the place like some kind of safe haven despite all evidence to the contrary. Argh!

And my goodness how many times does a man have to safe your worthless ass at the risk of his own before you stop accusing him of using you. Zay spends most of the book taking crap from Allie even though he does nothing but try to help her and take care of her, and she never seems to care. Even after he saves her from certain death she still tries to leave him behind and WOW, GOES A WHOLE 7 PAGES BEFORE GETTING CAPTURED.

Like I said - stupid.

Allie's inability to learn from ANYTHING just totally annoyed me for the entire course of the book and frankly is what is going to keep me from reading any more of this series. I mean if you can't stand the main character how are you supposed to read multiple books about them??
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic to the Bone.

06/13/2011 page 88
25.0% "Pretty good start. Super interesting world Monk has created."
06/14/2011 page 103
29.0% "Allie believes the woman stalking her doesn't have a gun because she can't smell one on her. WTH?? Is Allie half blood hound or something?" 3 comments
06/14/2011 page 179
50.0% "Interesting book but it's not sucking me in as much as I thought it would. I keep thinking "is that possible", "why'd that happen", etc etc etc. I have just having trouble believing the laws of this universe." 3 comments
06/16/2011 page 240
68.0% "I am losing interest. I am going to finish the book but at this point I am just not invested in the characters or their world. Kinda bummed about that. I really expected to adore this series as the team that is Ilona Andrews highly recommends these books."
06/19/2011 page 300
85.0% "Why can't she just accept his help dammit? She is being really stupid."
06/19/2011 page 307
86.0% "Wow Allie, you got a whole 7 pages of being on your own before getting caught! Go you! Stupid girl."
06/19/2011 page 355
100.0% "Overall not impressed by he book but am impresse by Allies ability to live despite her stupidity. Review to come."