Alejandro's Reviews > Dark Mirror

Dark Mirror by Diane Duane

Aug 06, 13

bookshelves: star-trek, science-fiction, novel
Read in February, 1995

I love this book! Easily it's one of my personal top ten of the best Star Trek novels that I ever read. Sadly, when on the TV Series, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, they developed episodes using the angle of the Mirror Universe, the way that they developed how the Mirror Universe was like then, it left this novel in a non-canonical status. The canonical value of any novel is questionable, but luckily almost any novel of any Star Trek series can fit into the canon of each one. There are some talking about that the "Mirror Universe" used here, it's yet another parallel universe, very similar to the known Mirror Universe but definitely another. I like that thinking and even now takes more strength taking into account the "Abramsverse" that it's a canon parallel universe of Star Trek, so if there can be two "good" Trek universes, why not two "evil" Mirror universes?
After so many years of having read this novel, some element that still strikes me was the fear that the "Mirror Deanna Troi" inspired me. I love the regular Deanna Troi, it's a wonderful character, and when I read in this novel about this twisted version of Deanna, I felt quite uneasy since the "Mirror Deanna Troi" is indeed an intimidant character. Obviously, there are another "mirror" versions of the rest of the crew (no Data by the way, he didn't exist in that mirror parallel universe) and indeed they were evil, each one on its own way, but with the one that I really felt uneasy and with real fear was the "Mirror Deanna Troi". Also, this novel has a really great guest character developed by the author, that it's an alien from a Dolphin-like species, and he is pivotal in the story. The novel is a truly great direct sequel to the events on "Mirror, Mirror" from the Original Series, set in the time of The Next Generation. So, canon or not, I highly recommend this novel.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Mirror.