Elizabeth's Reviews > Adios, Barbie: Young Women Write About Body Image and Identity

Adios, Barbie by Ophira Edut

Dec 07, 2007

bookshelves: feminist, autobiography
Recommended for: ALL women and girls, from young teens on up
Read in December, 2007

This book was revolutionary to me. I'd grown up hating my body because it is fat. (Among other reasons--just flip through your average women's magazine for many, many more reasons why we should hate our bodies.) I thought I was a slob and that I was deficient and undisciplined. I thought obviously I "needed" to lose weight and I couldn't be "acceptable" until I did.

And then this wonderful book came into my life. I realized that what it said was true: God made my body exactly as it is and God made my body beautiful, just like everyone else's. I could not only just resign myself to being fat, or just accept that I'm fat, but I could learn to love my body just as it is. I came to see that I am fat, yes, and I am also strong and substantial.

I loved this book.

It's a collection of stories told by many different women about lots of different body issues. Some I could relate to more than others. There's one from a handicapped woman in a wheelchair--I'm not handicapped, but I enjoyed reading her story. Same with lesbian women and women of color, but I did relate to the woman who decided to stop shaving her legs and pits. :-)

This book now has a different title....because a certain toy company couldn't bear to have their precious self-esteem-banishing toy slandered in such a way. I still love the title Adios, Barbie, but if you're looking for it new, you'll have to look under Body Outlaws.

I wish I'd found this book or a book like it before I was 30 years old! I think every women should receive this message.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adios, Barbie.