Lynn's Reviews > My Family and Other Animals

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

F_50x66
May 03, 10

I've read and re-read this many times over the years and it still draws me in. He gives an evocative description of his childhood spent exploring Corfu after his somewhat eccentric mother decided on a whim that she had had enough of England and rain. All things told it is probably as well that his mother was as loosely-tethered to normality as she was given Gerald tended to bring home anything that moved, one brother was a drama queen and the other was somewhat gun obsessed, his sister was prone to falling in love at the drop of a hat and the locals were nothing if not colourful.
He manages to detail a wildly entertaining family while at the same time sharing his seemingly bottomless well of knowledge regarding all things zoological. You come away from the book feeling that you have been entertained by it and later realise that you learned a few things along the way. It is the kind of book that you can pick up again and again and still pick new things out from it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Family and Other Animals.