Brian S. Wise's Reviews > Schulz and Peanuts

Schulz and Peanuts by David Michaelis

Sep 22, 14

bookshelves: book-store-stock
Read from May 03 to 15, 2010

Though we all understand the connection between one's parents and their emotional condition in later life, Michaelis over-examines Schulz's relationship with his parents, in particular his mother. The first couple hundred pages, up until Schulz goes away to the Army, are positively filled with a psychoanalysis that grows beyond tiresome. More to that point, by the two hundredth time you read that Schulz had a low sense of self-worth and was surprised when people liked or cared for him, you cannot really help but think, "Enough. We get it."

I've read before about the Schulz family's objections to this book, though have yet to seek them out. I have a feeling the family and I will be in agreement on a lot of things. I didn't dislike this book, but did, occasionally, grow tired of the same themes being beaten to death.

However, I will say this book has reawakened my interest in the strip, and that I'll be seeking out collections of them in the months to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Schulz and Peanuts.

05/03/2010 page 28
05/14/2010 page 483
73.74% "The disarray of the late 60s rolled away, to be replaced by a decade of jogging and other innocently egotistical ... pursuits ...""
show 16 hidden updates…