LemonLinda's Reviews > The Rice Mother

The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka

Nov 01, 10

Read from October 28 to November 01, 2010

I could not believe that this one is a debut novel. This author has quite a promising career. The book gripped me from the beginning and never let go.

The family saga spanning about 80 years in time beginning in the 1920s is told from the perspective of many different family members spanning four generations. I loved that way of telling the story of this family set in Malaysia dealing with all of their adversities (and they had many) including the Japanese occupation during WWII. But later it is revealed that there is a definite reason for telling the story in this manner. And that is only one of the many surprises. Toward the end of the book there is a gap in the story which at first annoyed me and then the reason was revealed which brings the entire book together into one cohesive story. It was so compelling and riveting that it was hard to put down especially as you neared the ending.

From Lakshmi (the Rice Mother) who in her own tragic way does her utmost to shape her family into the picture of success and prosperity to Nisha, the great granddaughter who works to reestablish her family ties, this story is filled with drama, passion, sorrow, tragedy and triumph. A great one that I would highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rice Mother.

10/29/2010 page 118
10/31/2010 page 342
76.0% "Wow - my emotions are all over the place with this one. I really love getting the perspective of so many of the family members. You really learn the family that way and begin to uncover the truth within the story."
show 2 hidden updates…