M.'s Reviews > Batman: Year 100

Batman by Paul Pope

May 03, 10

bookshelves: 2010, comix
Read in May, 2010

I, as a rule, generally avoid superhero comix. The one, minor exception I have found since I've gotten seriously into comix, so far, has been Howard Chaykin's American Flagg, which I found totally engaging and completely awesome (and subversive & inspiring & hott etc).

I was showing a friend some other comic images (I don't remember what now) and he said it reminded him of Paul Pope's Batman art. I was like whatever. He showed some to me and I was vaguely interested. I still can't really handle generic "DC/Marvel/Vertigo" lettering or the stupid ass glossy paper that these comics are printed on, but managing to put these biases aside, I found a lot to like in Pope's version of Batman. It lacks the narrativity/ideology that I can't stand about comic authors like Frank Miller & Alan Moore, and really exists more as a weird & strange setting than some stupid developed plot that I completely don't care about.

This is vaguely cyberpunk, but in a way that is kind of interesting instead of totally annoying and stupid.

And, okay, I have to admit the following: I've always had some slight weird fetishistic sexual interest in the character of Batman, but Christian Bale's hyper presence AS the character via the movies had totally destroyed any desire I could formally locate. However, something about the way Pope draws Batman (new outfit, weathered/bored countenance, looking like he's about 45 but still in shape) sort of directly appealed to my personal sexual interests enough that hey, look it's boner-town, or something.

Basically this has not succeeded in inspiring me to look deeper into superhero comix, but I enjoyed it enough that if Pope wrote & drew another Batman arc, I would probably read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.