Princessjay's Reviews > Extremes

May 03, 10

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, sci-fi-fantasy, cannot-finish
Read on May 03, 2010

Tedious.

Shallow characters: The detective-turned-retrieval-artist, who was, we are repeatedly told, haunted by the death of his daughter 10 years ago. The tough female detective, hated by her department, complete with regulation-issue cardboard boss who loathe her for no reason.

The one-sided moral viewpoint: the human one. From a not particularly intelligent human, at that. The alien crimes were described thus: "People were punished for things they hadn't even known were crimes--for things, even if they had known, that wouldn't be considered crimes under human law." Really?? Even under human laws, ignorance of the law is no excuse. And last time I checked--building condos atop of holy grounds, causing the mass murder of two kinds of intelligent species; outright murder of an alien; and violation of an ultra-important culture value, are all things most humans can at least UNDERSTAND to be criminal. And yet there are no such shades of gray in this world.

Too much exposition. Too much tell, not enough show. Every action required reams and reams of description. Every action required an accompanying emotion--and thus the characters went through their motions, shaking, trembling, stunned and starting at every casual remark. UGH.

I have books 1 through 4 of this series. They keep telling me it will get better. So far, it hasn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremes.