Sara's Reviews > The Summer Before

The Summer Before by Ann M. Martin

May 03, 10

bookshelves: 2010, middle-grade
Read on May 02, 2010

4.5 stars. Apparently the old Babysitters Club books are beginning to be rereleased. In anticipation, the author wrote this book about the four original characters the summer before the club started. Kristy's mom is dating Watson, who will eventually become her stepdad, and Kristy is hoping that her dad will return to their family; Mary Anne is learning more about her mom and trying to gain some independence; Claudia has a crush on an older guy and blows off her friends to hang out with him; and Stacy is getting ready to leave NYC, happy to go because of the way her former best friend has been treating her.

I thought this book was really cute. I haven't read a BSC book in years, but this almost (almost!) makes me want to pick them up again because the characters came to life so vividly. All the problems they each faced felt very real. I really liked the way the book showed what the characters were like before the club started, and it gave a lot of insight about why they behave in certain ways after this summer. They interacted in believable (and sometimes frustrating) ways, and the whole story seemed like it could actually be real. I'm sure all BSC fans from back in the day will enjoy reading this and see how the gang was before the club began, but I think it makes for an entertaining read for new fans of the rereleased books as well, since you don't have to know anything about the club to enjoy it and it serves as a nice, new lead-in to the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer Before.