Jonathan's Reviews > The Art of UNIX Programming

The Art of UNIX Programming by Eric S. Raymond

May 03, 2010

bookshelves: 2010
Read from May 03 to July 13, 2010

Victory!!! I have finally completed this book. The book weighs in at just under 500 pages, but it reads much longer than that (at least for me) I don't want to imply that that is negative though, the book is wonderful, and is an absolute must read for any software developer. It just took me 3 months to read, which is significantly longer than I would have thought, or originally wanted.

This book does a very good job of explaining the culture and history of unix, but all of those cultural and historical lessons are written in the context of how they drove or were the result of technical decisions.

Chapter 1 lays out 13 rules of the Unix philosophy, and constantly comes back to them when discussing the design of a particular unix program. If the program breaks one of the rules, Raymond points it out, explaining why it was a poor decision to do so.

The 13 rules themselves would be worth the price of admission. If you can only read one chapter, make it chapter 1.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of UNIX Programming.

04/03/2016 marked as: read