Steph Bowe's Reviews > Della Says: OMG!

Della Says by Keris Stainton

May 03, 2010

Before I started reading Della Says: OMG! I had Expectations. And I capitalise Expectations because Expectations are a big part of my book reading experience. I see the cover, I read the blurb, I see the title, I read other reviews, maybe I know the author’s online presence – and from these things I start to expect things of the novel.

So first, quickly, my expectations: I was expecting a novel with a big focus on Facebook, texting and IM. I was expecting it to be written for a younger teenage audience. I was expecting it to be a quick, easy and fun read. I wasn’t expecting it to have much depth, but I love fun books, so that’s okay.

Needless to say, Della Says: OMG! was totally not what I was expecting. In a great way.

The focus of this novel was not as much on Della’s missing diary (and there was a small amount of focus on the internet side of things), I felt, as it was on Della growing as a person. Della was a brilliant character – she wasn’t the strongest of personalities, but she wasn’t a pushover either, and she was someone with whom I could really relate. I thought Dan, too, was fantastic, and the relationship between those two was really well-written. And Maddy! Maddy was great. I would have loved to have heard more of her story.

It talks about things like teen sex very honestly (always tactfully, though) and Della is seventeen, so I’d probably recommend this to slightly older teens. I thought Della’s story was sweet, but also a lot more multi-layered than I expected. This was a book I really enjoyed reading – a little snapshot into Della’s life, laugh-out-loud funny and very insightful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Della Says.

04/06/2016 marked as: read