Joanie's Reviews > ttyl

ttyl by Lauren Myracle

May 03, 10

bookshelves: banned-challenged, from-the-library, young-adult
Read in May, 2010

Okay-let me explain. I read this because it was the most banned/challenged book of 2009, moving into the top slot after spending some time around 2 and 3. The story is told all in IMs-which at first really really annoyed me but then I got used to it and flew through it. Like many other teen books out there, ttyl tells the stories of 3 girlfriends, starting with their first day of 10th grade. They share boy troubles, parent troubles, teacher troubles-blah, blah, blah-you get the point.

Nothing new or earth shattering here-just silly fluff, but sometimes that's just what I need. Don't run out and read this unless you have a really high tolerance for "internet/text speak"-it does get annoying. If you want something totally mindless that you can read in a few hours while being a total rebel for reading the number one banned book in the country-go for it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ttyl.

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex HA! Someone's actually read this! I heard about it the same way you did - an article about book banning. I was fascinated and horrified by the concept.

I convinced my buddy Jayme to read it for Bookish's current theme, "Letters," because it's sortof an epistolary novel.

Joanie Ha! Did she like it? I'm not sure if I'm more embarrassed that I read it or that I actually sort of enjoyed it-the latter I guess. In my defense-I have an almost 4 year old and an 8 month old and sometimes (getting to be more often than I'd like to admit nowadays!) I just want to read something that's totally mindless and easy that I can fly through-ttyl totally fit the bill. I think you should read it-don't be scared off by the bright pink cover!

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex She hasn't gotten it from the library yet.

I'll be honest with you: not only does it sound like a terrible book, but I feel like a 35-year-old dude reading a book about high school girls who are (according to idiot book censorers, at least) maybe a bit on the slutty side is...well, it's a bit creepy, isn't it? I really think the whole thing would make me feel very uncomfortable.

Joanie Yeah-I can't see this book holding much appeal for adult men (and if it does there is most likely a problem) and it is a bit creepy.

Be careful what you say about MadMattie, SnowAngel, and....(hmm, I seem to have forgotten the name of the third girl already) they're not slutty! They talk about sex but don't actually do anything-they are pure in body if not in mind ;-)

I feel like I need to go back and try to read James Joyce again or something-my brain is truly rotting from all this mind candy!

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Well good, that's pretty realistic then. As I remember from high school, most of us talked incessantly about sex but rarely followed through with any of it (for, y'know, a wide variety of reasons).

Yeah, totally, the way to keep your brain from rotting is to read a 700-page book about a dude pooping.

Joanie Okay so maybe Joyce isn't the way to go. Maybe I'll just get the next book in the Internet Girls series (yes, there is more than one) and call it a day.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Read Anna Karenina with me! That book is awesome!

Joanie I actually have that-I bought it at a library book sale a few years ago-let me see if I can find it.

I was going to attempt Gone with the Wind with the group (something I tried to do in 6th grade after they read it in The Outsiders but failed) and I'm not sure how long it will take me to get through both but I'll give it a shot.

Oh what will my poor brain think after reading so much junk?

message 9: by Alex (last edited May 04, 2010 01:58PM) (new)

Alex Never read Gone with the Wind, but Anna Karenina is actually pretty fun to read; I find it...pleasant. (Ask me again in a month when the end's still not in sight, I suppose.) Did you get the new translation by Pevear and Volokhonsky? I can't speak for any other translations, but this one is totally readable.

Or you could read the other book I've been cracking up about recently.

Joanie My version is old, old, old so probably not the right translation at all. I was just looking it up and it seems like most people recommend the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation.

As for the other book-where did you even find that? And you had the nerve to call the girls in ttyl slutty?!?!

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex People are very pleased with the P & V translation, yeah. My wife is reading it, having previously read some other translation, and she's jazzed about it too.

Ha...the Bookish group posts daily threads about books in the news; yesterday's mentioned a recent surge in sales of erotica. They saw fit to use Thong on Fire as an example - I assume because it's the best book title ever.