April's Reviews > Rides a Dread Legion

Rides a Dread Legion by Raymond E. Feist

May 02, 2010

did not like it
Read from April 16 to 27, 2010

What I learned upon reading this book is that even though I grew up on and loved epic fantasies like this one, I have moved on and no longer have much patience for the genre. I used to devour three- or five-book series by men like Brooks, Donaldson, and Eddings, set in fantasy worlds where magic exists and good and evil clash. I used to love that the stories never quite ended and that you had to read the next book to read what is essentially the next chapter in one super long tale. An epic, literally.

But now, I see them all as derivative of Tolkien. I see them as slow-moving journeys that detail all the long, boring talking, posturing, and explaining of the elaborate world building in between the few exciting action scenes.

The writing is fine, really. The characters are nicely drawn. There are some really great descriptive passages in the book. But I just have very little tolerance any more for a book that doesn't really have a proper plot with a proper arc and a proper ending at the end of the book. I feel like a series such as this is merely a license to sell more than one book where one big one would suffice.

Also ... the title doesn't really evoke much of what happens in the book. The book feels like a slow build-up of conflict, the seeds of a beginning (not even a middle, let alone an end, the main reason I don't like this book), and the title would have been better off reflecting that feeling—maybe not the idea of riding a dread legion, but rather the idea of getting ready to mount one, or even just thinking about it.

Downloaded March 22, 2010. Finished reading April 27, 2010.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rides a Dread Legion.