Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Slop!: A Welsh Folktale

Slop! by Margaret Read MacDonald

May 09, 10

bookshelves: childrens, fairy-folktales, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Gundula
Read on May 09, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyable! Much thanks to my Goodreads friend Gundula for alerting me to this book.

I loved little (wee) things as a child; most children do; actually, I like miniature things (people?) now too.

This is just such a goodhearted story. Both couples are endearing. I love the Welsh folk motifs throughout the story, including the back cover, and they’re explicitly pointed out so those not in the know will not miss any. I love that the white stripe across a Welsh corgi dog’s shoulders is really a saddle for wee people. It’s all so cute.

This would make a really fun read aloud, especially saying “slop” so many times with verve. This tale (surprising to me!) even had an environmental message.

My mother’s mother was born in Wales, and though she died long before I was born, when I was young, I did meet a few relatives who still resided in Cardiff, and I am interested in all things Welsh even though I know very little. So, this was a great find for me.

The illustrations are in a style that aren’t normally my favorite, but I loved them here. I was especially amused by the cat using the wall as a scratching post. Ha! But the dog, the people, wee people, all the animals, house & cottage, terrain (I particularly enjoyed the 2 page spread of the wee cottage with the peelings and the boat on the “river”), and the slop too were all great fun.

If only we all had such good neighbors. And there’s composting too! And the potatoes, carrots, and onions made me hungry for that vegetable stew. But the reciprocal thoughtfulness of the neighbors is what struck me most.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slop!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan I'm not sure if you'll like the illustrations as much as I did but the story was just so uplifting.

Kathryn Sounds charming! I, too, have never outgrown my love of "wee" things. I will get this from the library pronto!

Lisa Vegan Kathryn, I'll be looking for your review. You too, Abigail.

message 4: by Gundula (new) - added it

Gundula Great review, Lisa!! I think that I will also have to bump this one up a notch; it sounds like a wonderful story.

Ronyell Wow! I didn't know that your mother's mother was born in Wales! That's sounds so interesting!

Lisa Vegan Ronyell wrote: "Wow! I didn't know that your mother's mother was born in Wales! That's sounds so interesting!"

Ronyell, Yes, we had Welsh relatives when I was growing up and I met 3 of them when we were all in New York. Unfortunately, my mother died when I was fairly young and, except for a very few relatives (from the English, not the Welsh side) I lost all touch with them after that. I've always wanted to go to the UK though. My grandmother was born in Wales and my grandfather in England (on my mother's side; now, I don't know where THEIR parents were born.) Well, and now, the UK is a fun destination for vegans which is also a huge draw for me.

I do have and read when I was about 12 my mother's copy of
How Green Was My Valley. My mother was born in Canada and so I've always felt the Welsh & English influence and definitely the Canadian influence. And, at least I've gotten to see quite a bit of Canada, and I love Canada!