Kasia S.'s Reviews > Murder Can Kill Your Social Life

Murder Can Kill Your Social Life by Selma Eichler

2087548
May 02, 10

Read in July, 2008

I still remember seeing this series in the bookstore and being totally infatuated with finding out what it was all about. Having first read one of the latter books in the line up ( #11 to be exact) I just knew that there was no other choice but to start with book # 1 to see what sparked it all. Desiree Shapiro is truly an interesting character, her passion for sleuthing only matches her enthusiasm for good food. It's hard to trust a character that never eats, I mean come on; if they are meant to appear real they better involve some tasty meals here and there or else they are nothing more than machines running on the writers ink.

The first book in the series gives the reader a broad glimpse into the life of the Manhattan private investigator that is probably a bigger hoot than all the wacky characters she interacts with. I know this book got many lukewarm reviews but I just adored it and even before I was done my thoughts were all ready swarming with thoughts of what other delights would the next book contain. This story had many characters, suspects and faces but I found myself totally enchanted and had a blast reading a good, cozy mystery.

When Desiree visits her niece Ellen in her new Manhattan apartment she is unaware that the day holds the power to transform her entire life. Little after she leaves there is a murder and Desiree has no other choice but to get involved in her first such case to clear the name of a young delivery boy who seems to be the prime suspect. When a second murder strikes with odd similarities she knows there is nothing else to do but for her to get lost in the case to avenge a man and woman who were somehow connected in their own deaths. When families, lovers, and friends of the second suspect start crossing paths on her line of suspects Desiree is faced with an intricate and fun mystery that really makes for an addicting read. There were a lot of paths but in the end the answer was worth waiting for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder Can Kill Your Social Life.