David 's Reviews > Not for Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade~~and How We Can Fight It

Not for Sale by David Batstone

Aug 06, 10

bookshelves: christianity-and-culture, social-issues, human-trafficking
Read in May, 2010

This book is a must-read. Batstone first learned about human trafficking (i.e., modern slavery) when he discovered the waitresses at his favorite Indian restaurant were slaves. The point of this book is to inspire a new wave of abolitionists who will work against slavery in all its guises throughout the world. Each chapter is a blending of two stories (or more): one of a slave and one of a person who created an organization to fight slavery. So we read about forced prostitution (sex slavery) in Thailand and Cambodia while learning about two organizations working against it, NightLight Design and the Hagar Shelter. Then we learn about bonded labor (slaves forced to make bricks) and the work of International Justice Mission. The third chapter is about child soldiers in Uganda and the work of World Vision there. In chapter four we return to the issue of sex trafficking, but this time in Europe and we learn about the work of Padre Cesare in Italy to rescue the girls. Batstone does not attempt to whitewash the issue as the story in chapter five, of forced prostitution in Peru, is of a girl who continues to work as a pimp despite the best efforts of Lucy Borja and her center that works against the trafficking.

Finally, Batstone brings it home to the United States with in the final chapter writing about the Polaris Project, started by a couple of college students to bring the evil of modern slavery to light. Here he tells the stories of a group of Zambian boys brought to America and forced to tour churches and sing to people who had no idea they were hearing the voices of slaves. This chapter, along with the conclusion, is a call to any and all of us to do what we can to end slavery in our lifetime. This is a book to read and give to friends and family. Many of the abolitionists he speaks of are people who were pulled into this work and bring unique gifts to the table. It is a powerful book written on a level for anyone to read.

Highly, highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not for Sale.