Scarlett Sims's Reviews > The Shepherd's Granddaughter

The Shepherd's Granddaughter by Anne Laurel Carter

May 02, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: children-s, for-school, multicultural, political, non-fic, ya
Read in April, 2010

My biggest problem with this book is really my own fault.

I don't know anything about the situation with Israel and Palestine, other than the fact that there is a conflict. But when I read this book, I could really tell I was basically being preached to and that this author had an agenda. The book tells the Palestinian side of the story, which from what I understand would be the side most Americans would never hear. That makes this book important. But I didn't like this being my first introduction to the issue. As a critically thinking adult, I can read this and think, there has to be more to it so I'm going to find something else. However the books is aimed at kids--probably upper elementary or middle school--and I'm not confident that most of them would think the same way. Let's face it, a lot of people don't use logic or any kind of critical thinking. So I wouldn't want someone to take this as the only version of events.

I did actually like the story, the writing style, and the way the events unfolded. My only complaint was the political nature of the book-- I could tell I was being manipulated and didn't like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shepherd's Granddaughter.

Maryc Hopefully, after you have educated yourself, and perhaps visited, you will see that this was a very tame depiction of the realities of Palestinian life under military occupation and illegal settlements. It IS in fact very one-sided. Kind of like when the Americans slaughtered and imprisoned Native Americans and stole and settled their lands.