Katie's Reviews > Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin

Official Book Club Selection by Kathy Griffin

May 02, 2010

liked it

This book was going at a four until the emails back and forth with Woz, which were boring.

As an aside, I've read about 10 memoirs/autobiographies/biographies by comedians, and it's endlessly interesting to me. In that respect, I really liked hearing about why her style of comedy was different and difficult to catch on while she was up and coming, especially considering that her style is why I like her. She balanced the funny (Mariska Hargitay getting dropped in Groundlings classes) with the not-so-funny (her brother Kenny) pretty well. I also have a lot more respect for her, on how she truly is one of the few people out there now who actually got where she is due to her own intiative over years. I loved the comparison to Hilary Swank (roughly, "If I could live in a van for a year and then have an Oscar by 25, I'd do that over how I had to do it any day." Amen.).

Just a fun, breezy read, slightly deeper in spots than I thought it would be, but then it be hard to go back to the colloquial celebrity stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Official Book Club Selection.

message 1: by Meg-Anne (new) - added it

Meg-Anne OMG! Aren't those emails dreadful? I'm slowly trudging through those right now. I was cruising through the book and was quite enjoying it until those darn emails. Why would she put those in? Are they filler because she wanted to be as close to 400 pages as possible.

Rachel MacNaught The emails!!! I actually scrolled through to see if anyone else removed a star for them.