Rose's Reviews > Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures

Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers

May 28, 10

bookshelves: fantastic-escapism
Read from May 02 to 28, 2010

Let me just take a few minutes to say that I have been reading voraciously for years and the three novels I have ready by Walter Moers are some of my favorite of all time. He is truly like no one else. Above and beyond fantastical. I loved Rumo, although it is admittedly the darkest of the three. If you haven't read anything by Moers yet I suggest starting with The City of Dreaming Books and working your way up from there as the other two (Rumo, and The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear) are quite long. Also The City of Dreaming Books is the one I find most commonly available in bookstores. Get ready to be transported. True escapism.

Walt Disney on ecstasy, J.K.Rowling and Douglas Adam's love child, The Book of Lost Things + The Lord of the Rings + The Martian Chronicles + The Twilight Zone. Gregory Maguire in spirit, Lewis Carroll and Gertrude Stein and Michael Cunningham in language. Can't say enough to recommend these books.

Like somebody scraped the ink out of Borges and Alberto Manguel's collective libraries, stirred all those words and images and bibliophile joy together with a thickening agent to make the most beautiful paint of all time, and Jackson Pollock came back from the DEAD to splatter a canvas with it. Seriously. Not exaggerating. Go read them now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures.

05/02/2010 page 191