Thomas's Reviews > Along for the Ride

2018505
Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, realistic-fiction, romance
Read from May 02 to 03, 2010

Reading Sarah Dessen is like walking into an air-conditioned store after a hot, humid day in the sun. Reading Sarah Dessen is also like drinking an ice-cold smoothie after a long, harsh marathon. And finally, reading Sarah Dessen is like eating comfort food: you always know what you're going to get, a tasty, satisfying treat.

Auden has just finished her senior year and looks forward to spending the summer like she usually does: staying home and studying, while occasionally attending the parties hosted by her mom for her grad students. However, instead of following routine like she usually does, Auden decides to spend the summer at the attractive beach town where her dad and his new family reside. There, she meets her half-sister, Thisbe, as well as her first group of real friends. But the most alluring thing about the town is Eli: an ambiguous, secretive young man who is an insomniac, just like Auden. Late at night, they explore the childhood Auden never had - they get to know each other, and open up from what has restricted them in the past.

4.5 stars. I really love Sarah Dessen's writing. Previously stated by my plethora of similes in the first paragraph, it's just a comfort to be able to read her work. The strongest aspect of Dessen's novels are her characters. They are perfectly written - nuanced, flawed, yet so extremely likable and fleshed out. There's something that readers can relate to in every character: whether it be the driven determination of Auden's mom, or the insecurity Auden has with failing, etc.

The only reason Along for the Ride didn't receive the full five stars is because I felt there was something missing: there wasn't the extra punch Dessen usually delivers in her books. I just wanted to make it clear that it's not because of how formulaic some find her books to be. I simply space out the time between her novels, so I don't feel like I'm reading the same story over and over.

Overall, very good. I'm already looking forward to reading another book by Sarah Dessen.

Want to read more of my reviews? Follow me here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Along for the Ride.

05/02/2010 page 188
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-27)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 27: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Great review Thomas. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Thomas Thank you :) It's a great book.

message 25: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara You're right it felt it was missing that extra something. I think Thisbe was her half-sister? I might be mixed up though because I read it when it first came out. Nice review:)

Thomas Oh, true. Nice catch. I always get those two mixed up -_- And thanks :)

message 23: by Cara (last edited May 03, 2010 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara No prob;)BTW I forget to mention I liked/loved the list you gave in the beginning of the review.

Halah Ahmad this is me first book to read for Sarah . so i could not compare . that's why i give it 5 :)

i love what you wrote "Reading Sarah Dessen is like walking into an air-conditioned store after a hot, humid day in the sun" . it's so true . i could not agree more .

Ireland Your right. There deffinitly seemed like something was missing. I can't put my finger on it but it deffinitly didn't seem complete. But that was a great review Thomas.

Rachell Ann wow! just like what i thought about something is missing .. indeed, nice review! So far the best book I've read by Sarah Dessen, for me i guess?

Thomas Wow, am I late to replying to the comments on this review... thanks for the compliments everyone!

Rachell Ann, if you haven't read them already, I suggest reading The Truth About Forever and Just Listen. Those two are my favorites. :)

message 18: by Rachell Ann (last edited Sep 19, 2011 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachell Ann Thank you so much Thomas! I'm pretty sure they are worth reading... especially if they are your favorites. God bless! :)

Ruth Noemi Rojas I think I might buy this one!! <3

Thomas You should Ruth! Tell me what you think of it after you read it. (:

Natalie Vaughan Wow. You have such a way with words.. :)

Thomas Thank you Natalie!

Himanshi Agrawal I loved the way you started this review. That is exactly what her novels do!

Thomas Ditto. I'm looking forward to her newest book, The Moon and More. :)

Himanshi Agrawal Thomas wrote: "Ditto. I'm looking forward to her newest book, The Moon and More. :)"

Me too, 'What Happened To Goodbye' was not my favorite Dessen novel so I have really high expectations from The Moon and More!

message 10: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna you are absolutelly right about everything ! i am in para 2 and i am loving the book ! i already read Just Listen and i loved it ! great review !

Thomas Thank you Anna!

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Kharis I love your review. I was just deciding on which Dessen book I would buy tomorrow and I'm choosing between this one and dreamland. I'm not sure yet.
And by the way, we have the same favorite Dessen books. My first was actually The Truth abiut Forever and completely fell in love with Sarah Dessen

Thomas This one and Dreamland are both so good, but in completely different ways. I'm glad we have the same Dessen taste. :)

Lily Have you read What Happened To Goodbye? It's awesome! One of her best books!

Thomas I liked What Happened to Goodbye! Your comment makes me wonder what her next book will be about.

Lily Ya...

Lauren Glad to know someone adores Sarah Dessen as much as I do!

Thomas Yes, the more Dessen fans the merrier!

Lauren I'm reading What Happened to Goodbye now for the second time. :) Her books are exactly what I want to write. I've written one novel, I wish it was as well written as Sarah Dessen's!