Tim's Reviews > The Hammer of Eden

The Hammer of Eden by Ken Follett

May 21, 10

** spoiler alert ** I've read a few of Ken Follet's books, most notably "The Pillars of the Earth," a vast, extremely enjoyable tome. "World Without End" promises to be equally engaging (although one of my friends describes it as the first one wrapped in a bit of a different scenario, but I'm gonna read it anyway). I've also read and thoroughly enjoyed "Eye of the Needle" and "The Man from St. Petersburg."

In this book, Mr. Follet takes yet another direction, thriller genre for sure, but this time in the form of a group of old hippies whose commune is threatened by the building of a dam in California, and the leader, "Priest," with a less-than-upstanding-citizen" past steals a "seismic vibrator," to threaten California with earthquakes unless the governor agrees to stop production of power plants. Fun premise, with some disturbing imagery, but the characters are interesting, the romance angle predictable, the action nicely developed and some surprises, but alas not enough of 'em. Denouement has a couple more surprises, which I liked, but overall too predictable, although I learned a LOT about seismology and earthquakes.

No matter, I got a LOAD of Ken Follet to read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hammer of Eden.