Ozma's Reviews > Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America

Leviathan by Eric Jay Dolin

Jun 20, 10

bookshelves: borrowed-from-the-denver-public-lib, one-of-my-favorites, signed-by-the-author
Read in June, 2010

I never thought that a history of whaling in the U.S. would become one of my favorite books. But here I am! I skipped social events, stayed home and ignored other books to read this one. Something about whales just fascinates me, and the idea that they were seen as the "oil" of their day. I never thought I could explain to anyone why or how I enjoyed this book. But when I took it to the library to return it, the librarian got this glint in his eyes and said, did you like it? I said, I loved it! We talked about books about whales and how cool whales are. The author of another recent book on whales said in an interview, "We don't deserve whales." I think he might be right. I am off to e-mail the author of this book now, something I rarely do, to let him know how much I enjoyed it. He is a gifted writer who cobbled together disparate sources in a book that spans almost all of U.S. History. I can't wait to read more of his work.

Even if you don't think you are interested in whales or U.S. History, give this book a try. It will totally charm you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.

05/02/2010 page 21
4.38% "Much more interesting than you think!"
05/16/2010 page 130
27.14% "Well written book! Really enjoying it!"