Dustin's Reviews > Silent Bob Speaks: The Selected Writings

Silent Bob Speaks by Kevin Smith

Apr 21, 08

Recommended for: Everyone, Drew
Read in April, 2008

I admit it: I love almost everything 'Kevin Smith.' While I have loved all of his movies, I actually prefer his writing (non-screenplay) to the movies. In the movies, you have someone else doing their best to give life to his words, but in writing, as on stage with the 'Evening Wasted with Kevin Smith' DVDs, it's straight from the man himself. Always brutally honest and humble, you get to the end of one of his books, and feel like you are already good friends with him, and have been for a long time. He pours so much of himself, self-deprecating humor and all, into every story and diatribe, you end up feeling like you went to high school with him, otherwise how could you know so much about him.

I was most impressed by his upfront attitude regarding the big issues in his life: marriage, fatherhood, weight management, discovering and falling in love with New Jersey. While the funny stories and behind the scenes essays are always interesting and fun to read, its his approach to the big things in life that consistently leave my jaw dropped, that anyone could be *that* earnest and have managed to be successful in life absolutely floors me.

While I gave this five stars, I would say that his next book, "My Boring Assed Life" deserves 5 1/2 stars. It's just that good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent Bob Speaks.