Alea's Reviews > A Lady Never Tells

A Lady Never Tells by Candace Camp

May 31, 10

bookshelves: read-for-review

Having read just a small stack of historical romances I think I am beginning to understand the common plot elements that most novels in the genre possess. I have also begun to see what is unique to each story and I think in A Lady Never Tells that would be the strong sense of family.

Right away we are introduced to the four Bascombe sisters, headed by eldest sister Mary. They are right off the boat from America and aren't afraid to use their mouths and weapons (seriously) to stop a thief from taking a satchel of important papers. They are a refreshing family, unlike any I have seen so far in the historical romances I have read. They are a great match for the refined Sir Royce Winslow and his brothers. They are amused by each other because they are so very different. I never got tired of these characters! There are also secondary characters, cousins and friends that were really great as well!

The relationship between Mary and Royce while not an uncommon one in the genre is a lot of fun! It seems whenever these two are alone naughty things happen. So it should be said that A Lady Never tells is higher on the steamy scale. While their arguments were typical I still really enjoyed reading their story and carried it around with me everywhere I went most of the few days I was reading it.

I think this book is a great set up for the Willowmere trilogy and I simply cannot wait to read the next book, A Gentleman Always Remembers. I will be getting it as soon as it comes out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady Never Tells.