Charlyn Trussell's Reviews > The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau

bookshelves: biography, ecology, nonfiction
Recommended to Charlyn by: Texas Bluebonnet Award Reading List 2010
Recommended for: any age
Read in May, 2010, read count: 1

If you're as old as I am, you watched Jacques Cousteau on television and were charmed by this passionate Frenchman. Today's young readers are ignorant of his contributions to our understanding and awareness of the importance of the oceans. Using brightly-colored illustrations and large print, Dan Yaccarino educates today's youth about Cousteau's great love of the sea. Bubbles within the illustrations contain pithy quotations from the oceanographer (and, in my head, they were each read with a French accent...). The picture book will acquaint the reader with new technology Cousteau brought into the world and the several formats in which his adventures came into our lives: TV, books, movies. And it will remind readers that the pollution Cousteau saw beginning is now a much bigger problem. For those whose curiosity isn't sated, the book concludes with a timeline of the important events in Cousteau's life and sources for further study. This book is every bit as charming as Cousteau himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau.