Anila's Reviews > Sorcerers & Secretaries, Volume 1

Sorcerers & Secretaries, Volume 1 by Amy Kim Kibuishi

Quick rundown-
Light, fluffy left-to-right manga about a writer/college student, her former neighbor, and the story she's writing and dreaming.
Likes:
- EVERYTHING. It was adorable. Utterly adorable.
- Particularly Josh's 'NICOLE!' face. So cute. I loved his little-kid enthusiasm.
- Artz be pretty.
Random comparison: This duet is to manga/graphic novels as Owl City is to music: Light, fun, and sometimes a guilty pleasure.

Dislike:
- Only two volumes? Very sad, this.

Longer version-
After reading FMA 1-14 in the school library, I've kind of adopted the chair next to the manga shelf as my designated work space. So on Thursday, I spent my off period there. When I decided to take a break from history outlines, I decided to look for something to read- I've stopped taking books to school this year- and naturally I turned to the shelf right next to me. I found The Dreaming there, which was pretty good, and of course, FMA. I picked up Sorcerers and Secretaries because I'd seen it before at the public library and it looked interesting- not something I could justify checking out at the time, but interesting nonetheless. As graphic novels do, it took me about half an hour- but it was a really fun half hour!
It's a really cute story, I must say. Nicole is someone I can identify with- struggling to balance work, school, and writing, totally clueless when it comes to real-life romance, and very shy. As a result, it was pretty easy for me to fall into her world. It helps that I liked her story-world just as much as her real world.
I think what I appreciated most about this was that, while Ganter clearly has the imagination to make a manga out of Ellon's story, she wove it nicely into Nicole's life instead, which I think gives both tales more depth.
This is a fairy tale kind of story, and it reminded me why everyone loves fairy tales: we like being able to believe in that perfectly wonderful happy ending. While my cynical side usually rules my brain, these two graphic novels managed to chase it away for a while, which I appreciated.
I'm already planning to buy this. School library only has Volume 1, and I want to be able to re-read them both many times in future. Like any romantic comedy, they'd make a good pick-me-up after a bad day.
(Side note: I was reading V. 2 at a club meeting today, and a friend sitting next to me recognized it. When I finished it, she borrowed it and started reading. Didn't matter that it was the middle of the story. That says something, methinks.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorcerers & Secretaries, Volume 1.