Nancy's Reviews > The Spiritualist

The Spiritualist by Megan Chance

May 06, 2010

bookshelves: supernatural, murder-mystery
Read from May 01 to 06, 2010 , read count: 1

The Spiritualist is a delightful romp of a story about murder, seances and the supernatural with Victorian/Gothic atmosphere.
Evie has "married up" when she becomes Mrs. Peter Atherton, but not long afterward he is killed and she is the main suspect. His influential family is ready to see her charged and punished for his murder and believe she has done it for his money.
Dorothy Bennett is a wealthy old woman intent on contacting her deceased sons through seances. When Dorothy discovers Evie's situation, she takes her into her home and introduces her to the world of the spiritualist Michel Jourdain.
The book is fast-paced and never boring. Also, it is adult, realistic and great fun for fans of the supernatural.

Quotes: "One could sit in church every Sunday or a circle every Tuesday and Thursday and ask God - or the spirits for guidance, but in the end it was like viewing something through a cloudy glass - every attempt to see more clearly only narrowed one's vision, until what was understood was only a moment in a vast and unknowable universe, in which the only absolute was how much was unknown."

"You and I only see one side. But that doesn't mean the other side doesn't exist. To not see the whole is to not see the truth."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spiritualist.

Linda Based on this great review, I'm putting this on my to read list to be read very soon. Thanks.

Nancy Linda wrote: "Based on this great review, I'm putting this on my to read list to be read very soon. Thanks."

Thank you. I needed a little boost today. You;ve been good for my ego. And this is a good spooky book. I think you'll like it.